+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit Extension & passport request

krs

Star Member
May 8, 2014
Hi,

I received passport request for PR Visa and I have sent it today on 3rd Oct 2017. Estimated time for passport return is 4 weeks.

My present work permit (PGWP) is expiring on 10th Nov 2017.

Do I need to apply for bridging work permit? Can I cross the border and complete the procedure even after my work permit is expired? I intend to cross border asap when i get my passport back.

Thanks,
KRS

GA17

Star Member
Oct 2, 2017
ON
I dont think you will need to bridge your work permit because you are most likely to get your COPR before the 10th of November and can do your landing before the work permit expires.
However, if you plan to do landing after the 10th of November I will suggest you bridge your work permit. This will cost you more money which you may not want.
I will suggest you cross the border to do your landing ASAP as you intend.

Reactions: krs

krs

Star Member
May 8, 2014
The present processing days for work permit is 85 days. If I apply for work permit in a few days, is there any downside of it?

If I receive my passport early and my bridge permit is under process, can I do the same procedure or Do I need to tell them or do any procedure with cic to let them know that I have applied for bridging permit?

Will cic question me about it while crossing border?

GA17

Star Member
Oct 2, 2017
ON
The present processing days for work permit is 85 days. If I apply for work permit in a few days, is there any downside of it?

If I receive my passport early and my bridge permit is under process, can I do the same procedure or Do I need to tell them or do any procedure with cic to let them know that I have applied for bridging permit?

Will cic question me about it while crossing border?
There is no downside of applying to bridge your work permit. If you want to do that you should start that process early enough.

You will need a current status document to show the immigration officer when crossing any border. You may need to call CiC to find out if you can use your expired work permit and a confirmation that you have submitted your bridging work permit application as documents to flagpole.