+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit Extension - Incorrect LMIA exemption code

jkenney9

Dec 6, 2017
I'm interested in getting some input on my current situation. I am a US citizen, and have submitted an application to extend my closed work permit with the same employer in Ontario. The application was submitted Sept. 12 online, and my current work permit expires tomorrow (Dec. 7). However, it has recently come to my attention that the LMIA exempt code that HR put down is incorrect (I am a scientist, they put down a code that requires and medical degree; but I have a PhD, not an MD. The code is also different than that which was used previously to extend my work permit).

So the question is, what is the most likely thing to happen? Will CIC reject my application outright, and I will need to re-apply to restore my status? Or will CIC ask that the LMIA exempt code be updated with the correct code (It's currently coded as C45. It should be C44). I appreciate that I can go to the border to apply at a POE in the event of a rejection so I can continue to work, but am not keen on paying for my visa application again, along with a restoration fee because the folks in HR screwed up.

Any thoughts or experience with LMIA-exempt codes being off by a bit?

jkenney9

Dec 6, 2017
Well, in the event that anyone else is ever in this boat, the application was approved even though the LMIA exempt code was off by a wee bit. This is the third time I've extended the work visa, and I'm guessing that the previous time the code was correct so perhaps they took that into consideration? Not really sure....but hallelujah!