+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit extension during landing process

veeditparikh2211

Star Member
Nov 5, 2018
Hello everyone I have been waiting for Pr for almost 19 months now and have my work permit expire on 24 June 2019 and have applied for an extension and I am on implied status now so my question is if I get pr do I need valid work permit at the time of landing or on implied status is fine as I am working on SIN at the moment. And as talked with the agent they say you work under the same condition you were working as previously.

Answers will be appreciated thanks

olxandr

Sep 22, 2015
Then you should be fine as you applied before your wp expiration date
Here is my experience:
I didn't bother extending my SIN since September 2017, when my study permit expired. Just used the expired paper. I had a valid 3 year pgwp and my employer didn't care about validity of sin since I had a valid open wp (of course that depends on your employer). And I never had any issues either with filing taxes or with CRA.
Also, my wife applied for wp extension 2 months before we got passport request. We landed together with zero difficulties and she was on implied status at the time of landing. Just be aware that when you mail your passport(in case you aren't from a visa exempt country), Ottawa processing centre will issue COPR and stamp your passport with a single entry immigrant visa that can be used to re-enter Canada.
We also asked the border officer to withdraw wife's wp application, but he said he couldn't and we would need contact CIC to withdraw it, and we contacted CIC via "case specific inquiry", there is a special section in drop down menu called "withdrawal of application" or something similar to it. After a couple days we received an email stating that a comment was added to the wp application and it will up to the processing visa office to withdraw the wp application and possibly refund some fees.

Reactions: cecict

veeditparikh2211

Star Member
Nov 5, 2018
Then you should be fine as you applied before your wp expiration date
Here is my experience:
I didn't bother extending my SIN since September 2017, when my study permit expired. Just used the expired paper. I had a valid 3 year pgwp and my employer didn't care about validity of sin since I had a valid open wp (of course that depends on your employer). And I never had any issues either with filing taxes or with CRA.
Also, my wife applied for wp extension 2 months before we got passport request. We landed together with zero difficulties and she was on implied status at the time of landing. Just be aware that when you mail your passport(in case you aren't from a visa exempt country), Ottawa processing centre will issue COPR and stamp your passport with a single entry immigrant visa that can be used to re-enter Canada.
We also asked the border officer to withdraw wife's wp application, but he said he couldn't and we would need contact CIC to withdraw it, and we contacted CIC via "case specific inquiry", there is a special section in drop down menu called "withdrawal of application" or something similar to it. After a couple days we received an email stating that a comment was added to the wp application and it will up to the processing visa office to withdraw the wp application and possibly refund some fees.
Thanks a lot for the information so at the time of landing if we say we are in implied status and have an expired permit that won’t create. A problem right and at the same time working on implied status also won’t create any issues right if they ask ?

olxandr

Sep 22, 2015
There will not be any problem at the time of landing at the border as long as you have a legal status, and implied status is a legal status. There is a small change a border officer may just ask you to provide a wp application copy and receipt to confirm you applied for wp extension and have implied status. Just to be on a safe side I would print off a letter of confirmation(you can find it in your CIC account if you applied online) and receipt proving that 255$ fees were paid, and don't forget all work and study permits including expired ones to take with you to the border. To be even more safe you can take last 3-6 paystubs as a proof that you are still employed in the nominated province, but I highly doubt anyone would ask for them.
As of your employment, you are allowed to keep working while you are waiting for a wp extension but it's your responsibility to prove your employer that you can continue to legally work( if he or she ever asks)
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=189&top=17

Reactions: cecict

veeditparikh2211

Star Member
Nov 5, 2018
There will not be any problem at the time of landing at the border as long as you have a legal status, and implied status is a legal status. There is a small change a border officer may just ask you to provide a wp application copy and receipt to confirm you applied for wp extension and have implied status. Just to be on a safe side I would print off a letter of confirmation(you can find it in your CIC account if you applied online) and receipt proving that 255$ fees were paid, and don't forget all work and study permits including expired ones to take with you to the border. To be even more safe you can take last 3-6 paystubs as a proof that you are still employed in the nominated province, but I highly doubt anyone would ask for them.
As of your employment, you are allowed to keep working while you are waiting for a wp extension but it's your responsibility to prove your employer that you can continue to legally work( if he or she ever asks)
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=189&top=17
Sounds good lots of information thanks mate and I had paid 155$ for a closed permit and my employer paid 230$ for applying on my behalf. And I have all the proof to show them thanks again