+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit expiring

Divya Pratha

Jan 20, 2022
Hello I have my work permit getting expired on April 9 2022 and since there is no CEC draws taken I have no option of getting ITA. So can anyone suggest if I can apply to extend my work permit and when can I apply as WP is going to expire on 9th April

PaulAbhik23121989

Star Member
Sep 19, 2017
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Category........
CEC
Hello I have my work permit getting expired on April 9 2022 and since there is no CEC draws taken I have no option of getting ITA. So can anyone suggest if I can apply to extend my work permit and when can I apply as WP is going to expire on 9th April
If you're on PGWP, then you cannot extend it as it's a one-time opportunity. You can ask your employer for LMIA and that you can apply for WP or try for PNP route.

This has become a critical situation for all the PGWP holders that their permits are soon to expire and don't know what else to do. There's been an article released a few days ago that both FSW and CEC may not happen for the first half of this year because of the backlogs.

The other way is you can apply for visitor permit which will allow you to stay here until CEC draws take place however whilst you're on visitor permit, you won't be able to continue working means you have to stop working. Once you get an AOR, you can apply for BOWP and continue working until your application for PR is made. Remember, getting ITA doesn't allow you to apply for BOWP as ITA is only for either apply for PR or Decline the invitation whereas AOR mentions to use the letter to apply for BOWP.

I'll leave this upto the experts for their opinions.

PaulAbhik23121989

Star Member
Sep 19, 2017
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Category........
CEC
Im having the same issue. Is it easy to get a visitor visa after expiring PGWP? i have no clue of that :(
it is easy to get your visitor visa but that depends on how long its gonna take to approve visitor visa and permit. I think while your visitor visa is processing, you can work for a while until your application is approved. And your PGWP has to be valid when you're applying for visitor permit and visa.

Reactions: sha1994ge

sha1994ge

Jan 25, 2022
it is easy to get your visitor visa but that depends on how long its gonna take to approve visitor visa and permit. I think while your visitor visa is processing, you can work for a while until your application is approved. And your PGWP has to be valid when you're applying for visitor permit and visa.
Thank you very much, So do I have to show funds again? Since im applying from canda im bit confused

PaulAbhik23121989

Star Member
Sep 19, 2017
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Category........
CEC
Thank you very much, So do I have to show funds again? Since im applying from canda im bit confused
Naah! on the TRV/Visitor Visa form, you can just write the amount you have in your bank and thats it.
You would need to upload passport, PGWP and digital photo. That's all I submitted when I applied for Visitor Visa even though my PGWP was valid for 2 years.

Reactions: zonur

shizzyd

May 3, 2019
Naah! on the TRV/Visitor Visa form, you can just write the amount you have in your bank and thats it.
You would need to upload passport, PGWP and digital photo. That's all I submitted when I applied for Visitor Visa even though my PGWP was valid for 2 years.
Hey I'm in this same situation. My permit expires in the first week of June. I applied for my PNP through Express Entry, waiting on the nomination. What's the best option for me? Do I have to go back to my country? LMIA is not an option currently with my employer. Or can I apply for a tourist visa and still be able to apply for BOWP? From what I understand, if my work permit expires, I lose my status as a worker, right? How can I apply for my BOWP in that case? Thanks! Any help would be appreciated.

Daria13

Star Member
Sep 1, 2018
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
07-04-2023
Hello, Same situation, in my case my PGWP was given until my passport expiry date so i am technically entitled to 2 more months. I am planing to apply in sept (over 1 month before expiry) for a work permit on the premise of extension due to passport expiry. I was told that I am authorized to work while on implied status waiting for the decision. I am wondering if 2 more months are going to be granted because it seems like a short time.

santzapaul

Aug 8, 2016
Hello, Same situation, in my case my PGWP was given until my passport expiry date so i am technically entitled to 2 more months. I am planing to apply in sept (over 1 month before expiry) for a work permit on the premise of extension due to passport expiry. I was told that I am authorized to work while on implied status waiting for the decision. I am wondering if 2 more months are going to be granted because it seems like a short time.
As you are supposed to receive 2 more months of PGWP, you can apply for a PGWP extension by mail (paper application, not online). The current processing time for PGWP paper applications is 7.5 months. Assuming the processing time goes down to 6 months by the time you apply in September, you can work under implied status during those 6 months and additionally for 2 months once your PGWP extension is approved.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/apply.html#extend
I have a note/remark in my PGWP stating "POST-GRADUATE WORK PERMIT DOCUMENT ISSUED TO PASSPORT EXPIRY. MUST RENEW FOR FURTHER EXTENSIONS." I am supposed to get 17 more months of PGWP when I apply for an extension.

If you had a similar remark in your PGWP you have a sure shot of getting an extension. Even if it's not present, you can try your luck as I've seen cases of people with shorter PGWP periods due to premature passport expiry getting an extension even when their PGWP doesn't mention anything about passport expiry. Make sure to explain your situation in the cover letter or LOE. All the best!