+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit expiring while waiting for PR.. what are my options

veeB

Feb 6, 2019
Hey folks
I was nominated thru the BC PNP tech pilot program Oct 2018 with a closed work permit issued by my employer. I have applied for PR and am currently waiting for a response. In the meantime, my work permit is edging closer to expiry and a current chat with my employer tells me that they will not be extending my work permit. I was told I could apply for a bridging open work permit, but all of my online research states that I actually don't qualify for that because my PNP nomination was done with a closed work permit.
What are my options if I cannot get the open work permit or find a new job before I get the PR response? I should be able to stay in Canada until I hear back about PR, right? Should I apply for some sort of permit/ visitor visa before my current one expires? I've got about 2 months left on it..
Cheers
V

knokkelmann16

Jul 6, 2018
if you stay in Canada with no job you might lose your provincial nomination. you got to find a new employer who`ll help you with getting a new work permit

azuredragon

Star Member
Oct 10, 2018
Hey folks
I was nominated thru the BC PNP tech pilot program Oct 2018 with a closed work permit issued by my employer. I have applied for PR and am currently waiting for a response. In the meantime, my work permit is edging closer to expiry and a current chat with my employer tells me that they will not be extending my work permit. I was told I could apply for a bridging open work permit, but all of my online research states that I actually don't qualify for that because my PNP nomination was done with a closed work permit.
What are my options if I cannot get the open work permit or find a new job before I get the PR response? I should be able to stay in Canada until I hear back about PR, right? Should I apply for some sort of permit/ visitor visa before my current one expires? I've got about 2 months left on it..
Cheers
V
Hi,

I believed we are on the same situation. I am also a Provincial Nominee (OINP). If i am not mistaken, in your nomination you are restricted to your current employer (correct me if i am wrong). My closed Work Permit is also expiring in March. What i did is, I applied for closed work permit but LMIA exempt. I did not apply online but rather do "flagpoling" because i have an upcoming travel. I just got my closed work permit extended 2 days ago for another 2 years. I think when you received your nomination, there is also a support letter for work permit extension. However, your employer must pay the COMPLIANCE fee ($230) and give you the receipt and the "number" after they applied to employer portal.

Good luck! Share your updates.

Cheers.

chuckle

Sep 4, 2012
Hey folks
Cheers
V
Did you check your Nomination if there's restriction?

Markki09

Jan 26, 2019
Hey folks
Cheers
V

So what you’re planning now? Are you avail to get extension of work permit from your employer? Or you look for new employer?