+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

work permit expiring before getting COPR

priyabhee

Sep 23, 2015
Hello Experts,
My work permit is going to expire on October 23rd, 2017.
Got ppr on September 10
sent passports for stamping on September 12th.
Into printing room - September 18th, 2017.
Awaiting Approval..???

My questions:-

1) Can I expect my passport stamped with pr visa and COPR before my work permit expires?

2) If I get the passport stamped and COPR before October 23rd, Do I still need to apply for an extension of my work permit till I get my PR card?

3)If my passport won't get returned before October 23rd can I stay in Canada as a visitor till I receive my passport back without applying for an extension?

Hope you guys reply me
thanks.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011

1) Can I expect my passport stamped with pr visa and COPR before my work permit expires?
Most likely, 99% sure, yes.

2) If I get the passport stamped and COPR before October 23rd, Do I still need to apply for an extension of my work permit till I get my PR card?
Not if you land before your work permit expires. Once you complete the landing procedure, you are a permanent resident. The COPR will be validated at landing and will be your proof of status until you receive the PR card. (Keep the COPR by the way, it is a very important document, esp. if you plan to apply for citizenship later).

3) If my passport won't get returned before October 23rd can I stay in Canada as a visitor till I receive my passport back without applying for an extension?

You would have to apply to change conditions as a visitor, or exit and re-enter as a visitor. Simply "staying" past the expiry of your work permit is "overstaying." I don't think you need to worry about that though, unless you are unable to complete the landing before then.

mmartz1

Jun 22, 2017
Hello Experts,
Got ppr on September 10
Awaiting Approval..???

3)If my passport won't get returned before October 23rd can I stay in Canada as a visitor till I receive my passport back without applying for an extension?

Hope you guys reply me
thanks.
Hi, read your post and a question came to my mind, where did you see the "Into printing room - September 18th, 2017." status?

I got my PPR on September 19th, 2017, and just yesterday the status of my application on my CIC online profile changed to "Your application has been approved". Before this, the status was "your application is in progress", even when I got the PPR, just yesterday changed to "Application has been approved". When did that "Into printing room" showed up in your profile? and also, have you received your COPR yet?

I sent a photocopy of my passport to Ottawa on September 20, 2017, which they received on September 22, 2017.

I apologize for all the questions..

priyabhee

Sep 23, 2015
Hi, read your post and a question came to my mind, where did you see the "Into printing room - September 18th, 2017." status?

I got my PPR on September 19th, 2017, and just yesterday the status of my application on my CIC online profile changed to "Your application has been approved". Before this, the status was "your application is in progress", even when I got the PPR, just yesterday changed to "Application has been approved". When did that "Into printing room" showed up in your profile? and also, have you received your COPR yet?

I sent a photocopy of my passport to Ottawa on September 20, 2017, which they received on September 22, 2017.

i made a call to CIC and they informed me that my passport entered into the printing room on September 18th and it takes 2 weeks to return
Today my cic account is updated showing the final decision is approved. So most probably next week my passport will be returned i will be updating you.

priyabhee

Sep 23, 2015

I sent my original passport for stamping so it was sent into printing room once the printing is done my cic account was updated.
In your case you did not sent the original passport so no need of printing they just approved it by confirming after seeing the passport copy you will get your copr soon .

Jul 24, 2017
Hello Experts,
Got ppr on September 10
Awaiting Approval..???

Hope you guys reply me
thanks.
Hi ,

Any update on your application, I have sent my passports for stamping which were received by CIC on Sep 19th so trying to make sense of the timelines by comparing with your timelines :)

Thanks.

priyabhee

Sep 23, 2015
Hi ,

Any update on your application, I have sent my passports for stamping which were received by CIC on Sep 19th so trying to make sense of the timelines by comparing with your timelines :)

Thanks.
Yes sir
Passports received by cpc ottawa on 14th Sept
Into printing room 18th sept
Cic update showing approved on 29th Sept
Dispatched passports on 1st OCT
Received passports on 3rd Oct
Next week landing :)

Johnexpressentrypnp

Aug 9, 2018
Hello Experts,
I have received passport request (PPR) and it's in CPC Ottawa now. Unfortunately, my current work permit is expiring by 17 th December. Do I need to apply for the extension of my work permit ? Can I do landing with expired work permit? Thanks

Johnexpressentrypnp

Aug 9, 2018
Hi there ,
Could you plz share your experience?
I have received passport request (PPR) and it's in CPC Ottawa now. Unfortunately, my current work permit is expiring by 17 th December. Do I need to apply for the extension of my work permit ? Can I do landing with expired work permit? Thanks
Hello Experts,
Got ppr on September 10
Awaiting Approval..???

Hope you guys reply me
thanks.