+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

WORK PERMIT EXPIRING... anyone converted PGWP to Open recently?

Mayu11

Jan 22, 2022
Category........
CEC
Hi All, My PGWP is expiring in 6-7 weeks. When talking to a immigration Lawyer, they asked me to apply for a Open Work Permit Extension. I understand PGWP is issued only once for a person for 3 years and cannot be extended after that. I have the following question which I couldn't find an answer in the cic website. I was hoping if someone could help me out here.... :(

1. Anyone got converted from PGWP to Open Work Permit recently? Can you please share your inputs?

2. I can ask my employer for a LMIA application for an employer specific WP, but my current PGWP would get expired before hearing back on the LMIA result. Worried about loosing status in that gap as well. Anybody know how to mitigate this?

3. PNP option can be pursued - I am thinking Human Capital Priorities Stream - But I am not sure how one would get an NOI for this PARTICULAR stream?
DO i need to create my profile (not register) in the e-filing portal for this stream? Or is this random selected by the Provincial Government? ( I have an CEC Profile in the pool, Have said YES to Provincial Nominee just for Ontario)

Hoping for someone with their insights here... Thanks :)

Hmmm

Star Member
Jan 31, 2022
Hi,

- 6 - 8 weeks is a short turnaround time for LMIA. Your current PGWP might expire before you get it finalized but it doesn't hurt exploring every option.
- PGWP can not be extended but several people in your condition have gone ahead and applied for extension anyway just to keep working while hoping for CEC draws to resume. I don't know anyone who have gotten final result because extension are taking about 130+ days.
-Regarding PNP Human Capital Stream once you have the NOC Code, and active EE Profile, the required CRS Score and said yes to all provinces, that's ok. If you have a Masters Degree from Ontario you can also create an expression of interest profile on their website and hope for a draw.
-Lastly, the Minister of Immigration is quite aware of this situation and has been hinting at PGWP Extension or another policy that will have the same benefits. So you can keep your fingers crossed while exploring available options.

My PGWP is also expiring soon. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: zhu9 and Mayu11

Snoviel Lopes

Jan 12, 2020
I am in same situation, PGWP expired ,had to switch to spousal dependency, she had to leave job and apply for study and then I applied for SOWP..Still awaiting results on visa

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am in same situation, PGWP expired ,had to switch to spousal dependency, she had to leave job and apply for study and then I applied for SOWP..Still awaiting results on visa
Unfortunately this isn't going to work and you should be expecting a refusal.

IRCC changed the rules around this last year and made them more restrictive.

You're going to be classified as the principal foreign national and for this reason you cannot qualify for a SOWP based on your spouse switching to an study permit.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/exemption-codes/public-policy-competitiveness-economy.html

Reactions: Naturgrl

Snoviel Lopes

Jan 12, 2020
For example, if the principal foreign national is a study permit holder and the dependent spouse obtains an open work permit under LMIA exemption code C42 for spouses of study permit holders, the study permit holder can not quit schooling and obtain a work permit in the C41 spousal category on the basis of their spouse’s C42 open work permit and employment in a NOC 0, A or B occupation.

As per the link you sent...

I guess you talking about above scenario, my spouse had open work permit for 1 year as I was PGWP holder with NOC category and now she is switching to study permit...Principal applicant is not going on work permit after study permit...
With this case also it will get rejected? I have seen many ppl recently switching to study with this approach

Reactions: ameen2200

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
For example, if the principal foreign national is a study permit holder and the dependent spouse obtains an open work permit under LMIA exemption code C42 for spouses of study permit holders, the study permit holder can not quit schooling and obtain a work permit in the C41 spousal category on the basis of their spouse’s C42 open work permit and employment in a NOC 0, A or B occupation.

I guess you talking about above scenario, my spouse had open work permit for 1 year as I was PGWP holder with NOC category and now she is switching to study permit...Principal applicant is not going on work permit after study permit...
With this case also it will get rejected? I have seen many ppl recently switching to study with this approach
Yes, it also applies to scenarios where the spouse switches to a study permit. This is why both C42 and 41 are mentioned. C42 is spouses / common-law partners of study permit holders.

Your SOWP will only be approved if the IRCC officer makes a mistake.

Mayu11

Jan 22, 2022
Category........
CEC
Hi,

- 6 - 8 weeks is a short turnaround time for LMIA. Your current PGWP might expire before you get it finalized but it doesn't hurt exploring every option.
- PGWP can not be extended but several people in your condition have gone ahead and applied for extension anyway just to keep working while hoping for CEC draws to resume. I don't know anyone who have gotten final result because extension are taking about 130+ days.
-Regarding PNP Human Capital Stream once you have the NOC Code, and active EE Profile, the required CRS Score and said yes to all provinces, that's ok. If you have a Masters Degree from Ontario you can also create an expression of interest profile on their website and hope for a draw.
-Lastly, the Minister of Immigration is quite aware of this situation and has been hinting at PGWP Extension or another policy that will have the same benefits. So you can keep your fingers crossed while exploring available options.

My PGWP is also expiring soon. Good luck.
Yeah hopefully!!!
I am going to apply for Open work permit extension.. and lets see what happens. (fingers crossed)
And try alternate means via PNP meanwhile Human Capitol Priorities Stream or Skilled Foreign worker...although I have masters from Canada, not eligible for international graduates stream or Master's stream as its been more than 3 years since I graduated.

C_vitamin

Star Member
Jul 29, 2020
Due to the fact that Cec draws paused since September,2021, many of us has expired post graduate work permit(PGWP) or will expire soon. Enough is enough. We need to act now for an extension and resuming CEC draws otherwise we have to leave from Canada. Please come and join below link to discuss about Toronto protest.

We are strong TOGETHER

https://chat.whatsapp.com/Da9UPt2BB1O1IUg2B3dcPr

zhu9

Jan 15, 2021
Due to the fact that Cec draws paused since September,2021, many of us has expired post graduate work permit(PGWP) or will expire soon. Enough is enough. We need to act now for an extension and resuming CEC draws otherwise we have to leave from Canada. Please come and join below link to discuss about Toronto protest.

We are strong TOGETHER

https://chat.whatsapp.com/Da9UPt2BB1O1IUg2B3dcPr
I am located in Edmonton so I cannot be there for the Toronto protest.

But there are two petitions going on as well.

https://www.change.org/p/sean-fraser-minister-of-immigration-refugees-and-citizenship-of-canada-help-temporary-foreign-workers-pgwp-holders-and-international-students-to-get-their-permanent-residency-in-canada

https://migrantworkersalliance.org/msufairness/

The second organization was claimed to be directly related to the 18 months pgwp public policy last year.

And indeed, we are strong TOGETHER.

C_vitamin

Star Member
Jul 29, 2020
I am located in Edmonton so I cannot be there for the Toronto protest.

But there are two petitions going on as well.

https://www.change.org/p/sean-fraser-minister-of-immigration-refugees-and-citizenship-of-canada-help-temporary-foreign-workers-pgwp-holders-and-international-students-to-get-their-permanent-residency-in-canada

https://migrantworkersalliance.org/msufairness/

The second organization was claimed to be directly related to the 18 months pgwp public policy last year.

And indeed, we are strong TOGETHER.
Thanks for your answer. I did both petition long time ago. Still no action by government. There is a WhatsApp group we discuss the matter and also we are in contact with migrantworkers alliance. Each week we attend their online meeting. If you want to join WhatsApp. I put the link below It maybe full but some people leave sometime so try another time to join.

https://chat.whatsapp.com/ETHfo2GueZLBWP2iZuKd2Q

ameen2200

Jul 21, 2014

Hi Snoviel,

This Ameen, I am a PGWP holder. My PGWP will end in May 2023 so it is not covered by the new COVID policy of 18 months OWP.
I have seen your post regarding switching from PGWP to SOWP. I am greatly interested in this topic.
I wonder if you have got any response from the IRCC regarding your application. Your response is highly appreciated. Thank you!

Snoviel Lopes

Jan 12, 2020
Hi Snoviel,

This Ameen, I am a PGWP holder. My PGWP will end in May 2023 so it is not covered by the new COVID policy of 18 months OWP.
I have seen your post regarding switching from PGWP to SOWP. I am greatly interested in this topic.
I wonder if you have got any response from the IRCC regarding your application. Your response is highly appreciated. Thank you!
Yes we got the Visa approved, Study permit for my Spouse and Work permit for me ,but since government announced the policy of work permit extension we now applied for my SOWP extension ,and I am continuing the work on the extension policy.

I hope this helps...

Zee5991.

Dec 5, 2022
Hi Snoviel,

Hi, I am in the same boat, my husband's pgwp will expire in September 24, I will be on a study visa or will be converting from study visa to pgwp at that time. Can he apply for sowp based on my study visa? Also, can he work while it is processing?
Did your visa get approved?

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
Hi, I am in the same boat, my husband's pgwp will expire in September 24, I will be on a study visa or will be converting from study visa to pgwp at that time. Can he apply for sowp based on my study visa? Also, can he work while it is processing?
Did your visa get approved?
Your husband can apply for the temporary policy extending PGWP if expiring this September:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2023/03/canada-announces-extension-of-post-graduation-work-permits-for-up-to-18-months-to-retain-high-skilled-talent.html