+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit expires during PR application

auguste

Dec 27, 2010
I am expecting to apply for the Canadian Experience Class immigration in Feb 2011. My post-graduate work permit expires May 2011. I am wondering, what methods will allow me to be able to keep working during the period before I receive a response for my PR application.

Is there anything that allows me to keep working/staying in Canada during the period my application is being processed?

Also, if I had to leave Canada, would my PR application be transferred to a difference office, and affect the waiting time?

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The only thing allowing you to stay and work is if your employer applies for an LMO and you apply for a regular work permit.

Something allowing you to stay and not work would be if you applied to change your status to visit status when your work permit expires.

If you must leave, your file is generally not transferred when it is already being processed.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
auguste said:
I am expecting to apply for the Canadian Experience Class immigration in Feb 2011. My post-graduate work permit expires May 2011. I am wondering, what methods will allow me to be able to keep working during the period before I receive a response for my PR application.

As Leon noted, your employer will need to apply for a labour market opinion (LMO). If the LMO is positive, you can apply for a temporary work permit.

Is there anything that allows me to keep working/staying in Canada during the period my application is being processed?

If you cannot obtain a positive LMO, then you cannot work. You might be able to stay on a visitor visa, but you cannot work.

Also, if I had to leave Canada, would my PR application be transferred to a difference office,

NO

and affect the waiting time?

Probably not.