+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit expired, please help!

alamdii

Apr 3, 2018
Hello Everyone,

I am panicking at the moment. I am a refugee that has been accepted with a positive hearing back In 2016. I applied for an open work permit and it expired on the 18th of March. I, unfortunately, did not realize it expired.:( I have not applied for my PR yet as I'm planning to apply this week.

What can I do to extend my work permit and can I still work if my work permit has been expired?

Last edited:

ref19to22

May 18, 2022
Hi how did you go about this? I am in same situation and panicking.
You just need to apply for a work permit renewal through your IRCC account online, it will take time to get a new work permit *** and you cannot work while your work permit is expired since you applied for renewal after expiration ***

*** I had previously suggested they could work with an expired work permit

Last edited:

samug

Dec 10, 2023
Hi Ref, thank you for responding, the permit was expired and according to IRCC, i can not work until it is approved. I was told it will take about 130days.

Reactions: ref19to22

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hi Ref, thank you for responding, the permit was expired and according to IRCC, i can not work until it is approved. I was told it will take about 130days.
Yes you are not authorized to work since you did not submit renewal request before expiration.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/work-without-permit/authorization-work-without-work-permit-implied-status.html

samug

Dec 10, 2023
Yes Simba, i was told the same when i called IRCC and now seated home waiting for renewal. I might lose my job but it is what it is...

ref19to22

May 18, 2022
Thank you for correcting me, I will edit my response above so as not to mislead others.

samug

Dec 10, 2023
Update on this issue which i brought here. I managed to get my work permit in 47 days. Remember i applied when the permit had expired. Permit expired Nov 30th, I applied Dec6 2023 and i got my work permit in Jan 22, 2024. I applied to restore my status as a worker. Thank you for your advise.

samug

Dec 10, 2023
Thank you for correcting me, I will edit my response above so as not to mislead
Update on this issue which i brought here. I managed to get my work permit in 47 days. Remember i applied when the permit had expired. Permit expired Nov 30th, I applied Dec6 2023 and i got my work permit in Jan 22, 2024. I applied to restore my status as a worker. Thank you for your advise.

samug

Dec 10, 2023

samug

Dec 10, 2023
Hello Everyone,

I am panicking at the moment. I am a refugee that has been accepted with a positive hearing back In 2016. I applied for an open work permit and it expired on the 18th of March. I, unfortunately, did not realize it expired.:( I have not applied for my PR yet as I'm planning to apply this week.

What can I do to extend my work permit and can I still work if my work permit has been expired?