+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit exemptions.

DHM

Apr 17, 2015
Apologies for peppering the different sections of the forum with posts, but I've a range of things to clarify.

I've posted in the Visitors section previously, and have now read extensively about what I can and can't do (mainly can't) in terms of doing my UK consultancy work in Canada while visiting.

I'm now surprised to find that most of my usual business activities (based around evaluation research) are either LMIA exempt or don't require a work permit. This is possibly why when I described my business in detail to the border officials when I last visited, they didn't bat an eyelid.

So, I'm looking for confirmation (if that's possible) that I could potentially offer occasional evaluation consultancy to Canadian clients (Higher Education and research institutions) without a work permit, and that if a more regular research and evaluation position was identified, the employer wouldn't have to pursue a positive LMIA before offering me a contract (which I appreciate would then need a work permit).

I'm coming to Canada to relax, not work, but it would be crazy to turn down good offers if I didn't actually have to.

Grateful for any thoughts.