+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

WORK PERMIT - Entering highest level of education

reginaphilange

Feb 27, 2012
Hi
WORK PERMIT - Entering highest level of education

Can this include current post secondary level of education, i.e. a course currently being studied?

Thanks

wideopenspaces

Star Member
Jul 20, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am not familiar with the work permit application. But I would think it is referring to *completed* highest level of education.

wideopenspaces

Star Member
Jul 20, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Refer to the "Guide 5487 - Applying for a Work Permit outside Canada" at this link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5487ETOC.asp#5487E4

It doesn't say "completed" but if you are only *studying* for a Bachelor's Degree but don't yet have one you would not say that a BS is your highest level of education, for example.

Also, town will suffice for city. Forms wanting an address here in the US always say "city" yet you put the name of your town if you live in a town. What is the address where you receive your mail? Use that.

reginaphilange

Feb 27, 2012
Thank you wideopenspaces.

So, I completed one semester towards a university degree prior to this. So this wouldn't count as a post secondary completed education either?

Prior to ..that.., i completed one year of an undergraduate degree, a level of education of itself, called a certificate of higher education. After reading IMM5487, a university certificate, is not one of the examples given.

Prior to that.. I completed A-levels (Uk, college) - again, not one of the examples

So, where does this leave me, what would be my highest level of post secondary?

Kind Regards

wideopenspaces

Star Member
Jul 20, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I honestly don't know for sure. According to this it doesn't sound as though you can put anything for post secondary education. Hope that helps. If it isn't required for your job then I wouldn't worry about it. If there is a place for writing/typing then maybe you can fill in the classes/semesters that you have taken.

Check the box to indicate if you have any post secondary education (including university, college or apprenticeship training).

The following table provides examples of post secondary education:

Trade/Apprenticeship
Training completed in a specific trade, such as carpentry or auto mechanics.

Non-university certificate/diploma
Training in a profession that requires formal education but not at the university level (for example, dental technician or engineering technician).

Bachelor’s degree
Academic degree awarded by a college or university to those who completed an undergraduate curriculum; also called a baccalaureate. Examples include a Bachelor of Arts, Science or Education.

Master’s degree
Academic degree awarded by a graduate school of a college or university. You must have completed a Bachelor’s degree before a Master’s degree can be earned.

PhD
Highest university degree usually based on at least three years of graduate studies and a thesis. Normally, you must have completed a Master’s degree before a PhD can be earned.

reginaphilange

Feb 27, 2012
Thanks again wideopenspaces.

Its so funny, as i've been in 3 universities now, but still, according to this, will have to check 'no' to post secondary !

:-X