+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit ends in July

BDub

Apr 27, 2011
Hi,
My WP ends in July, I am not going to continue working for the same comapny and I have yet to find another LMO. I qualify for CEC and would like to start the process, am I allowed to stay in Canada while the app processes (as long as I apply for a visitor visa?) Can I travel back to the US if need be while I wait for CEC to go through? How likely is it to be turned down? I am a restaurant mgr for 2.5 years working 50-60 hour weeks, this is a qualifying postion I think. Also is there any way to get my original imm documents? THX

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
BDub said:
My WP ends in July, I am not going to continue working for the same comapny and I have yet to find another LMO. I qualify for CEC and would like to start the process, am I allowed to stay in Canada while the app processes (as long as I apply for a visitor visa?) Can I travel back to the US if need be while I wait for CEC to go through?

You either qualify for CEC, or you don't. Once you qualify for CEC, there are no further requirements regarding staying in Canada, returning back home, etc. Just keep CIC-Buffalo updated with your address. Your application for PR does not provide any kind of authorization to stay in or work in Canada, so those are completely separate issues. Whatever you do, do NOT remain in Canada or work in Canada without authorization.

Also is there any way to get my original imm documents? THX

No idea what you mean. If you mean you had a work permit but lost it and want to replace it, see here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/work/work-faq02.asp

ae03yy

Oct 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Seattl
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 18, 2011
BDub said:
am I allowed to stay in Canada while the app processes (as long as I apply for a visitor visa?)
you need to apply for visitor visa 1month prior to the expiry of WP. If you do that, yes you can stay but after WP expires you won't be able to work. That's the only option you have to remain legal here: i.e. get visitor status or Study Permit

[quote author=BDub 2nd question]
Can I travel back to the US if need be while I wait for CEC to go through? How likely is it to be turned down?
[/quote]
If you have a valid US visa, you can go there as visitor. Chances to be deny entry in US will depend on the proof of ties to Canada you'll provide at the border and if they ask. However, do not leave Canada if you sent application for visitor visa by the cutting time (1mth from WP/SP) and still are waiting for the decision.

[quote author=BDub 3rd question]
I am a restaurant mgr for 2.5 years working 50-60 hour weeks, this is a qualifying postion I think. Also is there any way to get my original imm documents? THX
[/quote] When applying submit only copies unless they ask for original.. if they ask originals send certified copies (you can get that in your City Hall for free or minimal cost) Yoou can also send originals iven that you have/ obtain two
But no you will not get ur documentation back from visa office

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
LOL... I understood BDub to be a US citizen, no need to worry about a visa to the USA.

I also understood the question, "How likely is it to be turned down?" to reference the PR application.

Again, you either qualify or you don't, and can pass background, security, and medical checks. Having said that, qualifying is not always as straight forward as it should be. Your employment is skilled, your hours appear to qualify, so without further information, all I can say is that it does not appear to be a problem. Of course, can't say how long it will take...

ae03yy

Oct 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Seattl
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 18, 2011
just to correct one of my statements. You are only recommended to send application for Visitor status 1 mth prior to WP/SP expired. But processing timeframe is beyond 5 mths now.

BDub

Apr 27, 2011
Thanks for the info...I will apply for a visitor visa in June since my WP ends in July. Sorry if I wasn't clear before regarding my documents, I would like a copy of my original immigration document when I entered Canada. I had to do a lot of research to get exact dates of where I lived, school dates, ect. I can get them again but it will cost a lot of $ and time. Don't worry I am not going to work while I wait for the CEC to go through, I just don't want to leave while it processes. Thx

vbomb

Star Member
Aug 26, 2010
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
1122 business management consultant
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-MAY-2010
Doc's Request.
07-SEP-2010
Nomination.....
23-MAR-2010
AOR Received.
01-SEP-2010
IELTS Request
No
File Transfer...
No
Med's Request
01-SEP-2010
Med's Done....
17-AUG-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-MAR-2011
VISA ISSUED...
06-APR-2011
LANDED..........
19-APR-2011
You definitely qualify as a restaurant manager. I would just get the docs in asap