+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit Delay

Yemen92

Jan 20, 2021
Hi everyone,

I am writing this to see if anyone has the same issue with IRCC and to check if i have any options to have the IRCC issue the permit.

I applied for a work permit based on an approved H&C application on March 2020 from within Canada, my medical exam got approved in Mid November, but since then i haven't heard anything. whenever i call to check the status i keep getting the same response that is still processing and its delayed due to covid-19 which i don't think i believe as haven't seen any complaints about it anywhere. As of today my application for work permit has been processing for OVER 1 YEAR.

I have sent out webform to expedite the application about 7 weeks ago due to being an essential worker, and i haven't received a response for that either, when i call to check for the status of the webform they say it has not been updated yet and they are facing delays due to "covid".

Both my study permit and H&C applications got approved even though they were filed three months after the work permit. With this being the case i was wondering if someone can help on what are my options at his point.

Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone,

I am writing this to see if anyone has the same issue with IRCC and to check if i have any options to have the IRCC issue the permit.

I applied for a work permit based on an approved H&C application on March 2020 from within Canada, my medical exam got approved in Mid November, but since then i haven't heard anything. whenever i call to check the status i keep getting the same response that is still processing and its delayed due to covid-19 which i don't think i believe as haven't seen any complaints about it anywhere. As of today my application for work permit has been processing for OVER 1 YEAR.

I have sent out webform to expedite the application about 7 weeks ago due to being an essential worker, and i haven't received a response for that either, when i call to check for the status of the webform they say it has not been updated yet and they are facing delays due to "covid".

Both my study permit and H&C applications got approved even though they were filed three months after the work permit. With this being the case i was wondering if someone can help on what are my options at his point.

Thank you
If you had an approved H&C application you would be a PR. Could you clarify what your status is at the moment and what you mean by H&C application being approved. Do you currently have a WP as you mention you are an essential worker.

Jst101

Mar 13, 2021
I applied for extension of work permit 6 months ago and haven't heard anything, its same like you they keep saying it's in process . Am so stressed

Yemen92

Jan 20, 2021
If you had an approved H&C application you would be a PR. Could you clarify what your status is at the moment and what you mean by H&C application being approved. Do you currently have a WP as you mention you are an essential worker.
I am without a status but on something called ADR ( administrative deferral of removal). When came to Canada from the USA they placed me on ADR till my home country situation gets better, i applied for H&C and got approved, so i am on my way to PR but haven't received the COPR yet. Under ADR you are qualified for study and work permit, i was able to get the study permit on time but the work permit has been delayed.

This will be my first work permit, being essential worker is the merit for expediting the process request.

Yemen92

Jan 20, 2021
I applied for extension of work permit 6 months ago and haven't heard anything, its same like you they keep saying it's in process . Am so stressed
It is extremely stressful. This is exactly why many people end up getting government aid.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am without a status but on something called ADR ( administrative deferral of removal). When came to Canada from the USA they placed me on ADR till my home country situation gets better, i applied for H&C and got approved, so i am on my way to PR but haven't received the COPR yet. Under ADR you are qualified for study and work permit, i was able to get the study permit on time but the work permit has been delayed.

This will be my first work permit, being essential worker is the merit for expediting the process request.
You say H&C was approved even though it was applied for after the WP. That would mean you applied for H&C around May/June 2020. Have you received confirmation of 1st stage approval of H&C? When did you receive official confirmation of the 1st stage approval? Your timeline is very fast.

Yemen92

Jan 20, 2021
  1. March , 2020 applied for work permit
  2. May , 2020 applied H&C
  3. July, 2020 applied study permit
  4. Sep, 2020 Study permit granted
  5. March,2021 H&C 1st stage approval