+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit convicted with DUI

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
As I mentioned in Canada, the Criminal Code BAC limit is .08% so you were double the limit. Your offense is a serious criminal offense.

This has several implications under Canada’s Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA), which states that a permanent resident or foreign national is deemed inadmissible to Canada if he or she is convicted of an offence that is considered “serious criminality.”

You need an excellent criminal lawyer because you will face deportation orders.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Not one person commenting has mentioned the individual was DOUBLE over the limit and he could of either killed or seriously injured not only himself , that’s secondary , but innocent individuals while THEY made the choice of driving seriously intoxicated . Let’s reiterate that . THEY made the choice .
People are focusing on him getting deportation orders , that’s secondary. Or as the OP mentioned ,there family relies on them . They could of killed people. Seriously folks , priorities here .
Or as someone put it “ it’s a shame ,” they were convicted
You take a drink and get behind the wheel of a car , you deserve anything coming down the pike at you

Last edited:
Reactions: jddd

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
As I mentioned in Canada, the Criminal Code BAC limit is .08% so you were double the limit. Your offense is a serious criminal offense.

This has several implications under Canada’s Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA), which states that a permanent resident or foreign national is deemed inadmissible to Canada if he or she is convicted of an offence that is considered “serious criminality.”

You need an excellent criminal lawyer because you will face deportation orders.
If conviction is already done so too late for the criminal lawyer.

Reactions: Naturgrl

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
For now, I'm waiting for the copy of my conviction/ decision from the court. I didn't inform yet the immegration lawyer on my DUI conviction.
You really need to be warning the lawyer about your conviction even if you are still waiting for a copy of the decision by the court.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Not one person commenting has mentioned the individual was DOUBLE over the limit and he could of either killed or seriously injured not only himself , that’s secondary , but innocent individuals while THEY made the choice of driving seriously intoxicated . Let’s reiterate that . THEY made the choice .
People are focusing on him getting deportation orders , that’s secondary. Or as the OP mentioned there family relies on them . They could of killed people. Seriously, there’s priorities here .
Absolutely agree. I did say that twice that he was double the limit and said he could have killed people. what I really want to say that he seems to have no remorse but only focused on his immigration status. Double the limit is so intoxicated he wouldn’t have been able to walk or be coherent. He may not have a job once his employer finds out. I have no sympathy for drunk drivers!

Reactions: jddd

Rejay

Nov 29, 2020
Absolutely agree. I did say that twice that he was double the limit and said he could have killed people. what I really want to say that he seems to have no remorse but only focused on his immigration status. Double the limit is so intoxicated he wouldn’t have been able to walk or be coherent. He may not have a job once his employer finds out. I have no sympathy for drunk drivers!
I agree with you and understand, and if I did that once, it will never happen again. Hopefully I can still have a chance.

Surya1002

Sep 8, 2023
Same situation for me. Can anyone suggest what to do ?
Like what will be my options here.
I’m in work permit applied for PR and when my application is in process I was charged for DUI and I pleaded guilty in court. Now IRCC says I might be criminally aminadmissible because of court outcome and they are going to refuse my PR application. They gave me 14 days time to respond with any additional documents

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Same situation for me. Can anyone suggest what to do ?
Like what will be my options here.
I’m in work permit applied for PR and when my application is in process I was charged for DUI and I pleaded guilty in court. Now IRCC says I might be criminally aminadmissible because of court outcome and they are going to refuse my PR application. They gave me 14 days time to respond with any additional documents
You need to hire an immigration lawyer asap. This is a very serious matter and you need professional help at this point. A DUI makes you inadmissible to Canada and ineligible for PR.

Reactions: Taran D

Surya1002

Sep 8, 2023
You need to hire an immigration lawyer asap. This is a very serious matter and you need professional help at this point. A DUI makes you inadmissible to Canada and ineligible for PR.
May I know the chances of staying in Canada now ?
My lawyer misguided me before and told me to plead guilty for impaired driving and did the same as he told me that there would be no consequences on my immigration. But now situation appears to be different.
I’m going to visit a lawyer today, but I want to know all the possibilities and chances of turning this situation around.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yea, am going to meet lawyer tomorrow. But I want to know the chances of getting over inadmissiblity
No one can tell you. You already pled guilty so are inadmissible. You should have never plead guilty because now you are inadmissable according to the Canadian Criminal Code. You cannot overturn a conviction that you yourself said you are guilty too. Chances are slim to none. Assume the lawyers specialize in immigration and criminal law.