File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
May I know the chances of staying in Canada now ?
My lawyer misguided me before and told me to plead guilty for impaired driving and did the same as he told me that there would be no consequences on my immigration. But now situation appears to be different.
I’m going to visit a lawyer today, but I want to know all the possibilities and chances of turning this situation around.
I can't tell you that. You need to speak with a lawyer.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Same situation for me. Can anyone suggest what to do ?
Like what will be my options here.
I’m in work permit applied for PR and when my application is in process I was charged for DUI and I pleaded guilty in court. Now IRCC says I might be criminally aminadmissible because of court outcome and they are going to refuse my PR application. They gave me 14 days time to respond with any additional documents
Another fine example of cause and consequence. If you drink and drive, you're a bloody fool. No sympathy

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I consulted 2 lawyers.
1st lawyer said: They will prepare a PFL response letter on my behalf and send it to me and I have to upload it. Asking 2500$
2nd lawyer said: he will delink my current application from GC key account and place it under their firm portal and they will respond for the PFL letter on my behalf. Asking 7500$
Which is the good way of selecting
None of us here can answer that question for you. It's entirely your choice. It depends on which lawyer you feel more comfortable working with. You want to make sure you are working with a lawyer who has experience with criminal inadmissibility since this is the issue you are facing now.

Surya1002

Sep 8, 2023
Recieved one more PFL stating to ignore previous PFL (which said I may be inadmissible) and now the new PFL says I’m punishable by 10years of jail time.
Totally confused now. I didn’t get any sentence as it was just a fine from court and license suspension.Am totally unsure of my situation now.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Recieved one more PFL stating to ignore previous PFL (which said I may be inadmissible) and now the new PFL says I’m punishable by 10years of jail time.
Totally confused now. I didn’t get any sentence as it was just a fine from court and license suspension.Am totally unsure of my situation now.
Post the full new PFL you received. The 10 years is about the maximum possible sentence, not what you received. The max sentence is what ends up being relevant when it comes to admissibility, etc. Regardless, you need a lawyer.

Surya1002

Sep 8, 2023
After careful and thorough consideration of all aspects of your application and the supporting information provided, it appears that you may not meet the requirements for a permanent resident visa because you are a person described in paragraph 36(1)(a) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. You would therefore be criminally inadmissible to Canada. Please disregard the previous Procedural Fairness letter dated 2023/09/08.
Paragraph 36(1)(a) of the Act renders inadmissible a foreign national on grounds of serious criminality for having been convicted in Canada of an offence under an Act of Parliament punishable by a maximum term of imprisonment of at least ten years, or of an offence for which a term of imprisonment of more than six months has been imposed.
The court documents recently submitted show that you have been convicted in Canada on 2023/07/14 of an offence under article 320.14(1)(B) of the Criminal Code of Canada, namely Impaired Operation - Over 80, which is punishable by a maximum term of imprisonment of 10 years.
Subsection 11(1) of the Act states that the visa or document shall be issued if, following an examination, the officer is satisfied that the foreign national is not inadmissible and meets the requirements of this Act. It appears that you may be inadmissible for the reasons set out above.
Before I make a final decision, you may submit additional information relating to this issue. You have 14 days from this letter date to provide any additional information

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
After careful and thorough consideration of all aspects of your application and the supporting information provided, it appears that you may not meet the requirements for a permanent resident visa because you are a person described in paragraph 36(1)(a) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. You would therefore be criminally inadmissible to Canada. Please disregard the previous Procedural Fairness letter dated 2023/09/08.
Paragraph 36(1)(a) of the Act renders inadmissible a foreign national on grounds of serious criminality for having been convicted in Canada of an offence under an Act of Parliament punishable by a maximum term of imprisonment of at least ten years, or of an offence for which a term of imprisonment of more than six months has been imposed.
The court documents recently submitted show that you have been convicted in Canada on 2023/07/14 of an offence under article 320.14(1)(B) of the Criminal Code of Canada, namely Impaired Operation - Over 80, which is punishable by a maximum term of imprisonment of 10 years.
Subsection 11(1) of the Act states that the visa or document shall be issued if, following an examination, the officer is satisfied that the foreign national is not inadmissible and meets the requirements of this Act. It appears that you may be inadmissible for the reasons set out above.
Before I make a final decision, you may submit additional information relating to this issue. You have 14 days from this letter date to provide any additional information
You are inadmissable because you pled guilty to a DUI charge. The 10 years is the maximum sentence a person can receive, which you did not. As mentioned you need a lawyer but most likely too late because you cannot overturn your guilty plea. You should have worked out a plea deal before being found guilty.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's essentially all in the letter. You are inadmissible to Canada due to the DUI. Your PR application is going to be refused. You can then expect to be ordered to leave Canada due to the inadmissibility. Again, you need a very good lawyer if you want to try to argue this or respond. Alternatively you can just leave Canada.

Reactions: YVR123

Shmiler

Star Member
Oct 19, 2020
As foodie69 said, actions have consequences. You plead guilty, you were guilty. I'm glad your lawyer "misguided" you. Always someone else at fault, eh? Never you.

Leave Canada and be thankful you didn't receive a custodial sentence.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
You plead guilty (i.e. admitted that you comitted a crime) . You are inadmissible to Canada.
There is no confusion. You will not get PR (if you are applying for it) and once you run out of your current status, you are/will be out of state and should go home.

Reactions: Naturgrl