+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit Clarification

HARSHA188

Mar 23, 2019
Hi,

How many years of work permit we will get after completing 16 month course of masters program from university.

I have received admit from Trent which has 16 month masters program in big data analytics. Will I get 3 years of work permit after completing the course.

Kindly help you have any information regarding the same.

Thank

napnusion

Star Member
Jun 23, 2014
As per the NEW rules by CIC, you will be getting PGWP equal to the duration of your studies = 16 months

It's because your course duration is less than 2 years.

napnusion

Star Member
Jun 23, 2014
Good question.

For Master's or Ph.D, the rules are little different.

If you're going for Master's which is going to last for 16 months, you'll be getting a 3 year PGWP.

Source : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/permit.html

One more thing, as per CIC website, the course should run in duration for 16 months (with no scheduled breaks ) to make you eligible for a 3 year permit. That means back-to-back study.

Last edited:

newuser86

Jan 30, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
30-03-2023
Med's Done....
09-02-2023
Hi,

How many years of work permit we will get after completing 16 month course of masters program from university.

I have received admit from Trent which has 16 month masters program in big data analytics. Will I get 3 years of work permit after completing the course.

Kindly help you have any information regarding the same.

Thank
My acceptance letter for a 2 years program is actually 16 months, since 8 months is an academic year, therefore it is deemed a 2 year program. It is my understanding is that the 3 year work permit will be issued after (providing that you adhere to the restrictions prescribed in your study and part-time work permit).