+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit before Residency application completed

Jon Jacobs

Apr 26, 2010
Hello,

I was told that if I wanted to be able to work before obtaining residency status then I should include form IMM 5553E (Applying to change conditions or extend your stay in Canada - Worker with my Immigration application.

I was told that once my wife (my sponsor) is approved (1st stage), I'll then receive the Temp Work Permit.

Question: Is this advisable? Could this complicate things or is it better to wait until I get residency?

Many Thanks.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Jon Jacobs said:
Hello,

I was told that if I wanted to be able to work before obtaining residency status then I should include form IMM 5553E (Applying to change conditions or extend your stay in Canada - Worker with my Immigration application.

I was told that once my wife (my sponsor) is approved (1st stage), I'll then receive the Temp Work Permit.

Question: Is this advisable? Could this complicate things or is it better to wait until I get residency?

Many Thanks.
You only include it if you and spouse have submitted an "In Canada" spousal sponsorship and application to Vegreville. If you have then in about 6 months you will either receive first level approval and the work permit or the application will be referred to a CIC without first level approval. No first level approval, then no work permit. It doesn't apply if your sponsorship and application are "Out of Canada" being sent to Mississauga.