+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit at Airport with an LMIA-wait times

beholder69

Oct 9, 2011
Hi everyone,

I'd really appreciate any feedback/experience you might have with issuing a work permit for a visa-exempt person travelling by air with an LMIA, preferably at Toronto or Calgary airport.

How long did it take (so that I can find a flight with proper waiting times), how easy it was etc

Thanks! 8)

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2016-03 (EE), TFW since 2012-04
beholder69 said:
Hi everyone,

I'd really appreciate any feedback/experience you might have with issuing a work permit for a visa-exempt person travelling by air with an LMIA, preferably at Toronto or Calgary airport.

How long did it take (so that I can find a flight with proper waiting times), how easy it was etc

Thanks! 8)
Note you have to do it at the firts Canada airport you're landing.

It's depends on how busy airport is, I guess Toronto is busier than Calgary.

It's depends also of which time you arrive, how many incoming flights are at the same time, some flights are carrying more immigrants. ..

If your documents are in order and you're the firts in the lane could be as fast as 20 minutes, but it depends on how many people are waiting for inmigration.

I would prefer Calgary for landing and a late/early time.

If you're applying for WP in a stopover to your final destination I would suggest at least 3-4 hours for Calgary, more for Toronto.

beholder69

Oct 9, 2011
Gregor.Samsa said:
Note you have to do it at the firts Canada airport you're landing.

It's depends on how busy airport is, I guess Toronto is busier than Calgary.

It's depends also of which time you arrive, how many incoming flights are at the same time, some flights are carrying more immigrants. ..

If your documents are in order and you're the firts in the lane could be as fast as 20 minutes, but it depends on how many people are waiting for inmigration.

I would prefer Calgary for landing and a late/early time.

If you're applying for WP in a stopover to your final destination I would suggest at least 3-4 hours for Calgary, more for Toronto.
Dang, 3-4 hours, eh? Will have to start looking for different flights then, because the ones I had been looking into had 1-2 hours of waiting time in the airport before the next flight.

Thanks a lot for the input! :)

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2016-03 (EE), TFW since 2012-04
beholder69 said:
Dang, 3-4 hours, eh? Will have to start looking for different flights then, because the ones I had been looking into had 1-2 hours of waiting time in the airport before the next flight.

Thanks a lot for the input! :)
2 hours could work for Calgary but it's too tight.

If you're buying the whole trip from your country to your final destination and you lose one of the flights in a stopover, usually the air company will relocate you in the next available flight, but it's better have enough time.

If you're thinking on Calgary I suppose your final destination is somewhere in Alberta, right?

You can consider Edmonton for your landing as well.

There are some flight combinations from Europe trough USA landing at Calgary or Edmonton.