+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit approval

NdiBelle

Aug 20, 2023
Hi everyone l received an approval email with my work permit number and the expiry day last week, please how long will it take for me to receive the physical copy?

spamed

Star Member
Oct 10, 2023
Montreal
Category........
Other
Hi everyone l received an approval email with my work permit number and the expiry day last week, please how long will it take for me to receive the physical copy?
It can take a month or two but you dont need it as long as immigration sent you an approval letter. That letter can be used for applying for jobs/keeping current jobs. Im in the same situation

NdiBelle

Aug 20, 2023
It can take a month or two but you dont need it as long as immigration sent you an approval letter. That letter can be used for applying for jobs/keeping current jobs. Im in the same situation
How will l get paid without a credit card?

Mancini

Star Member
Sep 6, 2023
For me, I received the work permit by mail after almost 2 weeks from the email notification.
I think you need the actual work permit to apply for SIN and to be able to open a bank account.
This is what I did, first received the actual work permit, then went next day to Service Canada and obtained my temporary SIN then headed to the bank and opened a bank account.
As a newcomer you have good offers from banks...

NdiBelle

Aug 20, 2023
For me, I received the work permit by mail after almost 2 weeks from the email notification.
I think you need the actual work permit to apply for SIN and to be able to open a bank account.
This is what I did, first received the actual work permit, then went next day to Service Canada and obtained my temporary SIN then headed to the bank and opened a bank account.
As a newcomer you have good offers from banks...
Wow this is giving me hopes. Which year did you apply because the processing times too mater. Hearing people saying l have to wait again for months breaks my heart

Reactions: Mancini

Mancini

Star Member
Sep 6, 2023
Wow this is giving me hopes. Which year did you apply because the processing times too mater. Hearing people saying l have to wait again for months breaks my heart
I applied on August 1 this year.
Last November, IRCC decided to facilitate work permits to be issued to refugee claimants so that can find jobs and support themselves and their dependents. This is a good thing. This applies to all refugee claimants. I don't know if you finished your eligibility interview or not, but the work permit is now issued even before the eligibility interview most of the time.

As for the waiting time, yes unfortunately it is taking now a long time. As of the end of September there are almost 140,000 pending refugee claims on the backlog. At the beginning of this year 2023, the backlog was only 103,000 claims pending. Although IRCC and IRB are doing their best, there are more refugee claims than they are finalizing. On average they finalize 4,500 claims, but there are in one month like 12,000 new refugee claims, sometimes more.. that is why it keeps piling up.

I read in this forum that it could take from 4-5 months up to 2 years to receive the decision :( :(
Try to find a job, this may help keep you bus and keep your mind at peace.
It is not easy for any of us :(
Good luck.

NdiBelle

Aug 20, 2023
I applied on August 1 this year.
Last November, IRCC decided to facilitate work permits to be issued to refugee claimants so that can find jobs and support themselves and their dependents. This is a good thing. This applies to all refugee claimants. I don't know if you finished your eligibility interview or not, but the work permit is now issued even before the eligibility interview most of the time.

As for the waiting time, yes unfortunately it is taking now a long time. As of the end of September there are almost 140,000 pending refugee claims on the backlog. At the beginning of this year 2023, the backlog was only 103,000 claims pending. Although IRCC and IRB are doing their best, there are more refugee claims than they are finalizing. On average they finalize 4,500 claims, but there are in one month like 12,000 new refugee claims, sometimes more.. that is why it keeps piling up.

I read in this forum that it could take from 4-5 months up to 2 years to receive the decision :( :(
Try to find a job, this may help keep you bus and keep your mind at peace.
It is not easy for any of us :(
Good luck.
Thank you so much. I already completed my claim, biometrics and medicals so l received the work permit approval email last week November 9th. Am waiting now for my hearing date l pray the work permit gets to me as soon as possible

spamed

Star Member
Oct 10, 2023
Montreal
Category........
Other
just take your approval letter they will give you a card. Personally, i opened a bank account at TD on my second day in canada using my home country national ID. idk if it will work for you

kyuubi

Nov 17, 2023
My passport was seized on the 21st of September and I still haven't been issued a work permit or called in for a second interview. Is anyone facing the same issue and delay?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My passport was seized on the 21st of September and I still haven't been issued a work permit or called in for a second interview. Is anyone facing the same issue and delay?
The isn.t considered a delay. Some waited for almost a year.

kyuubi

Nov 17, 2023
The isn.t considered a delay. Some waited for almost a year.
I know getting the second interview may take some time, but a law was signed last year November to issue work permit to refugee claimant before they get their brown paper. Work permit shouldn't take a year no matter the circumstances, so I don't know what you're talking about

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
I know getting the second interview may take some time, but a law was signed last year November to issue work permit to refugee claimant before they get their brown paper. Work permit shouldn't take a year no matter the circumstances, so I don't know what you're talking about
I dont think there is a law requiring IRCC to issue Work permit to refugee claimant before brown paper. If there is you can paste it here. Practice of issuing work permit is not consistent across all provinces, In Ontrario, specific Toronto because of the refugee crisis, yes they decided to issue work permit before second interview that will make claimant eligible to work. In BC, you can now get work permit on hand during second interview, they dont mail it but giving it to you. That is from my recent experience

Reactions: Mancini