+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit Application @ Port of Entry (POE) - Non-Visa Exempt

Runner51

Mar 13, 2014
Hi Just registered! A Newbie..

Please Help me with some Information on applying and getting a Work permit at a port of entry for Non-Visa exempt Nationals, for the first time.

My Case...

- I have a job offer (Job contract) from a Canadian Employer.

- The same employer has sent me a Positive Labor Market Opinion (+ve LMO).

- And I have a Temporary Resident visa (TRV), which Is given to me when I applied to visit Canada. It's a multiple entry visa with 4 years validity. I have never traveled on that visa to Canada, In fact I have never been to Canada before.

- I am well qualified for the job

- No Medical Required for my job.

please let me know If I can right away fly to Canada, apply and get my work permit at a port of entry? Instead of applying for it in my home country, even though it's for the first time !!

My employer, a very reliable one, insisted that I can successfully do this as I already have a TRV, a Job Contract and a +ve LMO. and not to waste time on applying in my home country.

I have searched the web for similar cases, but haven't found any.

the cic website says that people who are not visa exempt, can not apply at a port of entry. But it also says that if one has a +ve LMO, one can apply for their work permit at port of entry.

I'm confused. please help me on this.

Thank you.

spyro02

Nov 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-11-2014
AOR Received.
19-12-2014
Re: Work Permit Application @ Port of Entry (POE) - Non-Visa Exempt

Code:
Application before entry

197. A foreign national may apply for a work permit at any time before entering Canada.

Application on entry

198. (1) Subject to subsection (2), a foreign national may apply for a work permit when entering Canada if the foreign national is exempt under Division 5 of Part 9 from the requirement to obtain a temporary resident visa.
SO, in other words, you may be able to get a work permit on entry, if you can identify yourself in any of the following situations. If not, then you have to apply through a Canadian mission abroad; otherwise your chances of obtaining the permit at the POE is less than the flip of a coin.

Code:
Part 9. Division 5.
Visa exemption — nationality
190. (1) A foreign national is exempt from the requirement to obtain a temporary resident visa if they
(a) are a citizen of Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Brunei Darussalam, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Federal Republic of Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Papua New Guinea, Portugal, St. Kitts and Nevis, Samoa, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, Spain, Sweden or Switzerland;
(b) are
 (i) a British citizen,
 (ii) a British overseas citizen who is re-admissible to the United Kingdom, or
 (iii) a citizen of a British overseas territory who derives that citizenship through birth, descent, naturalization or registration in one of the British overseas territories of Anguilla, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Montserrat, Pitcairn Island, Saint Helena or Turks and Caicos Islands; or
(c) are a national of the United States or a person who has been lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence.
Marginal note: Visa exemption — documents
(2) A foreign national is exempt from the requirement to obtain a temporary resident visa if they
 (a) hold a passport that contains a diplomatic acceptance, a consular acceptance or an official acceptance issued by the Chief of Protocol for the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade on behalf of the Government of Canada and are a properly accredited diplomat, consular officer, representative or official of a country other than Canada, of the United Nations or any of its agencies, or of any international organization of which Canada is a member;
 (b) hold a passport or travel document issued by the Holy See;
 (c) hold a national Israeli passport;
 (d) hold a passport issued by the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China;
 (e) hold a passport issued by the United Kingdom to a British National (Overseas), as a person born, naturalized or registered in Hong Kong;
 (e.1) hold a passport issued by the United Kingdom to a British Subject which contains the observation that the holder has the right of abode in the United Kingdom; or
 (f) hold an ordinary passport issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Taiwan that includes the personal identification number of the individual.
Visa exemption — nationality and documents
(2.1) A foreign national who is a citizen of Lithuania or Poland is exempt from the requirement to obtain a temporary resident visa if they hold a machine readable passport that contains a contactless integrated circuit chip and that is issued by Lithuania or Poland, as the case may be.
Visa exemption — purpose of entry
(3) A foreign national is exempt from the requirement to obtain a temporary resident visa if they are seeking to enter and remain in Canada solely
 (a) subject to an agreement between Canada and one or more foreign countries respecting the obligation to hold such a visa,
  (i) as a member of a crew of a means of transportation other than a vessel or to become a member of a crew of a means of transportation other than a vessel, or
  (ii) to transit through Canada after working, or to work, as a member of a crew of a means of transportation other than a vessel, if they possess a ticket for departure from Canada within 24 hours after their arrival in Canada;
 (b) to transit through Canada as a passenger on a flight stopping in Canada for the sole purpose of refuelling and
 (i) they are in possession of a visa to enter the United States and their flight is bound for that country, or
 (ii) they were lawfully admitted to the United States and their flight originated in that country;
 (c) to transit through Canada as a passenger on a flight if the foreign national
  (i) is transported by a commercial transporter and there is a memorandum of understanding referred to in subsection (4) in effect between the Minister and the commercial transporter concerning the transit of passengers through Canada without a Canadian visa,
  (ii) holds a passport or travel document that was issued by the country of which the foreign national is a citizen or national and that country is listed in the memorandum of understanding, and
  (iii) is in possession of any visa required to enter the country of destination;
 (d) to carry out official duties as a member of the armed forces of a country that is a designated state for the purposes of the Visiting Forces Act, unless they have been designated under that Act as a civilian component of those armed forces;
 (e) to come to Canada from the United States for an interview with a United States consular officer concerning a United States immigrant visa, if they establish that they will be re-admitted to the United States;
 (f) to re-enter Canada following a visit solely to the United States or St. Pierre and Miquelon, if they
  (i) held a study permit or a work permit that was issued before they left Canada on such a visit or were authorized to enter and remain in Canada as a temporary resident, and
  (ii) return to Canada by the end of the period initially authorized for their stay or any extension to it;
 (g) to conduct inspections of the flight operation procedures or cabin safety of a commercial air carrier operating international flights, if they are a civil aviation inspector of a national aeronautical authority and possess valid documentation to that effect; or
 (h) to participate as an accredited representative or as an adviser to an aviation accident or incident investigation conducted under the Canadian Transportation Accident Investigation and Safety Board Act, if they possess valid documentation to that effect.
Visa exemption — crew member
(3.1) A foreign national who is a member of a crew and who is carried to Canada by a vessel is exempt from the requirement to obtain a temporary resident visa if they are seeking
 (a) to enter Canada as a member of the crew of the vessel; and
 (b) to remain in Canada solely as a member of the crew of that vessel or any other vessel.
The other exemption that does exist is that if your TRV is a work permit, then your work permit would have been authorized by the mission abroad and you can apply inland.

Code:
Application after entry
199. A foreign national may apply for a work permit after entering Canada if they
[...]
(g) applied for a work permit before entering Canada and the application was approved in writing but they have not been issued the permit
But this really only applies if your TRV is a work visa and you apply inland. If you applied at the POE, the officer may or may not issue a work permit different from the one you initially applied for. If you get sent to secondary and you have anything with you that implies you will be working or you can't come up with convincing tourist story, be absolutely honest with them and they may be easier on you. You help a CBSA officer help you, that will always work to your advantage.

In any case, if you help a CBSA officer help you, that will always work to your advantage. Also, it won't hurt to study the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulation, they are online on the website of the Department of Justice (laws-lois.justice.gc.ca), just in case I missed anything.

I hope this helps.

kanwar80

Jan 8, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Dear Experts

with reference to above instance i would like to add my situation.

I (an Indian) have Multiple entry B1 Visa for Canada valid till 2018 (with good travel history) along with USA B1 Visa Multiple entry (good travel history). I have positive LMO from an Employer from Canada and planning to apply from Seattle border to save time (As we Know in India it takes long time). This would be my first Canadian WP.

Few questions:-

a) Can i apply for work permit (first time) by entering thru USA at Seattle border ?
b) My job doesnt fall in public health or Food industry so should i get my medical done in Advance ? do my family also required medical done if they apply along with me at border?
c) Do i need police verification (even though i have been traveling a lot with very good travel history) ?
d) my family would be on visit with me to USA . Can i apply along with them at the Seattle border for WP or should i apply alone and they can have it later on. As they have USA and Canada visitor visa.
e) What reason should i give them that why i am applying at border instead of my Home country ?
d) Can i frequently travel to USA after getting WP as i have Multiple entry visas for USA and Canada ?
e) Do i need to apply TRV at border along with WP even though i have B1 Multiple visa ?

Look forward to hear your expert opinions

Thanks

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4

That's a complex situation on which one can mostly speculate. But some things are clear.

Having a trv for visit is not the same as the trv issued with work permit. The type of each trv is different i.e. that for worker is W-1 where as type for visitor is V-1. This is written clearly on both types of visas. I have both so i can easily compare each.

I am not sure these are interchangeable.

And yes you can travel frequently between US and Canada if you have B1 for US and TRV for Canada (assuming both are multiple entry ones). I as well as others have done that.

Personally, i don't think this is doable or at least it would have issues or you might be lucky if you get away. I know many people who already had US B1 and were from India / Pakistan but were never advised / nor ever tried to get it from POE mainly due to that statement "you can only apply for wp at POE if you are from a country which DOES NOT require a TRV".

Lastly, medical and police certificates are mandatory for people from India Pakistan. Medical might not be needed if you have consistently been living in say US for a while - i guess it is at least one year.

I am not sure about your last question. B1 is for US. Obviously that does not work towards entering Canada. So you would also need a trv.

To warn you if you get through this - you would probably be the first ever case that i have heard of and i really doubt it would fly.

The only exception i have heard of in this situation as well as read on this forum is for people who ALREADY had a work permit and visa in Canada and merely went to border to get a new one after getting LMO.

kanwar80 said:
Dear Experts

with reference to above instance i would like to add my situation.

I (an Indian) have Multiple entry B1 Visa for Canada valid till 2018 (with good travel history) along with USA B1 Visa Multiple entry (good travel history). I have positive LMO from an Employer from Canada and planning to apply from Seattle border to save time (As we Know in India it takes long time). This would be my first Canadian WP.

Few questions:-

a) Can i apply for work permit (first time) by entering thru USA at Seattle border ?
b) My job doesnt fall in public health or Food industry so should i get my medical done in Advance ? do my family also required medical done if they apply along with me at border?
c) Do i need police verification (even though i have been traveling a lot with very good travel history) ?
d) my family would be on visit with me to USA . Can i apply along with them at the Seattle border for WP or should i apply alone and they can have it later on. As they have USA and Canada visitor visa.
e) What reason should i give them that why i am applying at border instead of my Home country ?
d) Can i frequently travel to USA after getting WP as i have Multiple entry visas for USA and Canada ?
e) Do i need to apply TRV at border along with WP even though i have B1 Multiple visa ?

Look forward to hear your expert opinions

Thanks

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4

Take a look at this thread too. It would help. But dont jump to conclusions. This guy did get away with work permit first time at POE while being from a country that requires visa. However, he was already on a visit status in Canada and had a provincial nomination for PR. I don't really know if that was the cause or was he just lucky.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/was-able-to-apply-for-work-permit-at-poe-t182769.0.html

taleodor

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

You cannot apply for a Work Permit at a border if you are non-visa exempt. Even if you have a TRV. That's what I was told by CIC regarding a similar situation.

BTW, if in doubt, you can ask them yourself.

+ If you have a long-term status in the US, you would probably be able to apply at Canadian Consulate in the US.

kanwar80

Jan 8, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Friends thanks for your inputs. Well i have long run multiple visitor visa for USA and Canada. So do u suggest me to apply at Canadian consulate los angeles rather than trying at border. Or should i enter into Canada (which i can as i have visitor visa multiple entry) and do flag pole or apply while returning to Canada.

Another question which i wanted to ask is that should i apply alone or with my family at POE or consulate ?

I m little confused as my Agent (Agent in Canada) told me to go with all documents at border to apply WP. He said u ll get it 99%

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4

Flag polling was only for those already in Canada so your choices are either apply at the border or the consulate in US.

I would go for applying at border. If you have any chances of success (luck may be) that is only at the border. Consulate in US would simply refuse saying you cannot apply and be processed at a country where you have visitor status. You should be on some work / study permit status in US at least to be able to apply from there.

If you are going to take chance, do it for the whole family. Applying for them latter would make it more complex and time taking unless you are willing to spare living without them for a while.

Lastly, again i do not agree with your agent's philosophy as i have stated above earlier. If this was possible i probably should have done that myself as well (i had a B1 for US + plus LMO etc. from Canada and i still applied in my home country). My company's lawyer in Canada never suggested any thing like this was ever possible.

But any way you might get lucky.

Still i would suggest if you are going to try this route, keep the possibility of being refused at border and plan in advance what would you do if that happens. Will you go back and say apply online (where your application would be treated and processed at the embassy of the country where you live / are citizen of? Have contingency plans ready.

Lastly work permit processing from India as far as i know is not that bad. People even get that with in a month if they have all things ready and a good case.

kanwar80

Jan 8, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Dear fkl

Thanks for putting so much effort to guide me.well more I ll share more u ll fewl my situation is complexed. Staying away from family from last two years and just wanted to sort out now. I m open for Canada as well USA as a worker. But US as we all know its over for 2014.but still I m left with intra company transfer visa .but it ll take few months before I apply for intra company transfer visa for either usa or Canada. Meanwhile I have positive lmo from another employer for Canada so wanted use that.

Another thing which is coming in my mind is that i visit Canada with my family and then I alone go to border and apply wp if they allow. Or may be my family can stay in USA n I apply alone at border. Why I m using alone to show the social ties to my home country. Once I ll get the qp they can come as visitors and we can apply for them later. If I choose to apply at border they may ask why here what should I reply ?
I ll call Canada consulate tomorrow to check if I can apply at USA border

Dream catcher

Star Member
Apr 7, 2014

Hi everyone,

Regarding this issue, can i ask you all a small question...
Is it possible for a wife accompanying her husband to Canada (he has work permit and she has TRV) to apply for the open work permit at POE or not ???

Thanks for all of you.

taleodor

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Dream catcher said:
Hi everyone,

Regarding this issue, can i ask you all a small question...
Is it possible for a wife accompanying her husband to Canada (he has work permit and she has TRV) to apply for the open work permit at POE or not ???

Thanks for all of you.
Again, as I've been told by CIC, you cannot apply for a work permit at the border if you are non-visa exempt, and you don't have work visa and a letter from the Embassy / Consulate. But I encourage you to contact CIC directly about your situation. Things change sometimes. + There is nothing wrong about asking CIC, they may recommend you a better course of action, after all.

Regarding, the agents in Canada, sometimes they just don't know. I.e., if they only work with visa-exempt applicants, they may simply not know the specifics.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4

Glad i could be of help kanwar. The only satisfactory reason i have heard of (i believe on this forum) from some one who applied at border and got it (but he was already on wp in Canada - was probably laid off and wanted to get wp with a new employer and had LMO with him, was that he showed his offer letter which stated joining date that was much sooner than the currently standard processing times quoted for wp inside Canada. He told them that and was given wp. Note that there are differences from your situation so it might not fly with you. But i think this is the best argument you could make.

In my experience, if you don't apply together for family CIC is really lame with processing of SOWP and kids. The under lying impression i got was that if they were so important, to go together, you would have applied together. I know at least 4 such cases including myself and friends where we all applied together and got permits for family. As opposed to this there are many cases in which CIC delayed processing or outright refused for ridiculous reasons once (you are not eligible for SOWP - although spouse's work permit, job details and others were attached). It is true that because you have trvs already your family could still go with you. However, on a NORMAL trv for visit, you cannot stay beyond six months without going out of Canada. As opposed to this - a trv issued along with principal applicant's work permit has no such restriction and they can continue to live with PA until validity of wp. Visit trv does not require medicals - but trvs along with work permit do. Considering all of this, if i were in your shoes, i would apply together. At max would take chance at US border - otherwise simply apply in home country.

kanwar80 said:
Dear fkl

Thanks for putting so much effort to guide me.well more I ll share more u ll fewl my situation is complexed. Staying away from family from last two years and just wanted to sort out now. I m open for Canada as well USA as a worker. But US as we all know its over for 2014.but still I m left with intra company transfer visa .but it ll take few months before I apply for intra company transfer visa for either usa or Canada. Meanwhile I have positive lmo from another employer for Canada so wanted use that.

Another thing which is coming in my mind is that i visit Canada with my family and then I alone go to border and apply wp if they allow. Or may be my family can stay in USA n I apply alone at border. Why I m using alone to show the social ties to my home country. Once I ll get the qp they can come as visitors and we can apply for them later. If I choose to apply at border they may ask why here what should I reply ?
I ll call Canada consulate tomorrow to check if I can apply at USA border

Dream catcher

Star Member
Apr 7, 2014

taleodor said:
Again, as I've been told by CIC, you cannot apply for a work permit at the border if you are non-visa exempt, and you don't have work visa and a letter from the Embassy / Consulate. But I encourage you to contact CIC directly about your situation. Things change sometimes. + There is nothing wrong about asking CIC, they may recommend you a better course of action, after all.

Regarding, the agents in Canada, sometimes they just don't know. I.e., if they only work with visa-exempt applicants, they may simply not know the specifics.
Thanks taleodor :)

kanwar80

Jan 8, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Dear fkl

Well I m also trying to get hold of cic to check if I can do it at border. Even my employer is checking on the same. Ur right if we apply together then it makes more sense.but sometimes they ask for home ties so I thought If i would apply without family they won't get into that and would become more easy to get work permit. But anyways I think I got many reasons and evidence other than family to show them my home ties .so I would apply with family. I read on USA Canadian consulate that I can also apply wp at Canadian consulate at New York. If so then I can also consider that if I can't do it at border. I have successfully take visitor visa at new york earlier without any hassle and that too in one hour. So had very good experience at Canadian consulate New York for visitor visa. I dont know about work permit application.

But surely if border wont entertain me then New York Canadian consulate seems a very good option.
One more thing do anybody know that what they do if u go at border from non visa exempt country. I mean they refuse to process the application or they process and reject.