Work Permit Application @ Port of Entry (POE) - Non-Visa Exempt

kanwar80

Jan 8, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: Work Permit Application @ Port of Entry (POE) - Non-Visa Exempt

Hi

I was checking on CIC website for online application. I checked the questionnaire with option to apply in USA. so if i go ahead with online application while in USA with family does that men it would be processed it in USA and our interview would be in USA only rather in home country.

But i would still prefer to apply at border or consulate in LA.

please suggest

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4

kanwar80 said:
Hi

I was checking on CIC website for online application. I checked the questionnaire with option to apply in USA. so if i go ahead with online application while in USA with family does that men it would be processed it in USA and our interview would be in USA only rather in home country.

But i would still prefer to apply at border or consulate in LA.

please suggest
You still wouldn't be quoting US as your current country of residence - which would actually decide where the application is processed. Though i am not sure of this, but if this was possible, any one who has visa of any country where processing times are less would use that route - which is not really the case. Still you might give it a try, but i would be amazed if they accept and process that from US.

maclean

May 27, 2014

Hi,i was just granted a w-1 and i was wondering if i could apply for the work permit at the poe and how to go about it.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4

maclean said:
Hi,i was just granted a w-1 and i was wondering if i could apply for the work permit at the poe and how to go about it.
W-1 ? as in trv to visit canada that is given to temp workers? Then you must have applied for a work permit already and received preliminary approval? Please explain your situation.

kanwar80

Jan 8, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Hi

Is there any impact on my visitors visa in case of refusal of wp at border or Canadian consulate in USA?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4

kanwar80 said:
Hi

Is there any impact on my visitors visa in case of refusal of wp at border or Canadian consulate in USA?
I don't think so. At max they could say we cannot process work permit from here. This shouldn't have any impact on your trv. But probably when you are entering in Canada after that, you might be questioned a bit more thoroughly for your purpose of visit if they put this work permit application denial some where on file.

taleodor

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

That's what CIC web-site states: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-eligible.asp

You can ask to be allowed to work in Canada as you enter Canada but only if:

you do not need a visa,
you already hold a valid medical certificate, if you need it for your job, and
your employer does not need a labour market opinion (LMO) for your job (with some exceptions) or you already have an LMO.

Personally, I wouldn't take chances, but it's up to you. In theory (though unlikely), they can deny your entry, because in the end of the day you are going to work in Canada, not just to visit. Most likely, they'll just let you in as a visitor.