+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit application form - POE appication model vs Online application model

Layman

Oct 16, 2012
Hello everyone,

I´m helping a Portuguese welder move to Edmonton, Alberta as a TFW. There is no shortage of employers interested in his services. I´ve been told that, at present, no LMO is required in Alberta for his occupation and a half a dozen others. All that is needed for landing, in his case, is a valid passport with over two years before expiry date (he will receive a 2 yr. contract) job letter offer, a work contract, a WP, Criminal record form, CV (to prove his qualifications) and some money to prove he can get by.

He does not require a medical exam because he has been living in Holland for 2 years and only returned to Portugal 2-3 weeks ago.

He can apply for WP at the POE or he can apply online - where it will be processed, in due time, by the Canadian Embassy in Paris.

My questions are:

- is the POE application form the same as the online application form (IM 1295)?
- In the section "Details of Intended Work in Canada", question #1 "What type of WP are you applying for?" offers a drop-down menu with a host of options (OWP, other, Intl Exp. Canada, etc. ). In his case, which one should he choose? OWP?
- Would it save him time if he filled out the form, printed it and presented it to the Canadian autorities at the POE? Or would it be just a waste of time?

Would greatly appreciate a well-informed or expert reply. Thanx so much!