+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit and Spousal PR Application

negarmh

Star Member
Jul 18, 2014
Hi there,

I have a question about work permits and PR applications. I am currently on open work permit in BC (through graduating from my degree), which expired May 2019. Since there was 8 months left of it, I didn't apply for OWP with my inland Spousal PR application. My PR application has been received and linked to the online account, as of a week ago.

Now, I am guessing my PR application would not be approved by May 2019. If this is the case, how should I proceed? Do I need to apply for renewal of my OWP, 3 months before it expires? Can I apply for renewal with the pretext of my PR application? Or would applying for PR give me permission to keep working until I get a response, even if I don't renew the OWP?

Anyone had similar experience?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi there,

I have a question about work permits and PR applications. I am currently on open work permit in BC (through graduating from my degree), which expired May 2019. Since there was 8 months left of it, I didn't apply for OWP with my inland Spousal PR application. My PR application has been received and linked to the online account, as of a week ago.

Now, I am guessing my PR application would not be approved by May 2019. If this is the case, how should I proceed? Do I need to apply for renewal of my OWP, 3 months before it expires? Can I apply for renewal with the pretext of my PR application? Or would applying for PR give me permission to keep working until I get a response, even if I don't renew the OWP?

Anyone had similar experience?
I don't think you can "renew" your OWP. But you can apply for a new OWP linking to your inland Spousal PR application. (some other member may know the exact process. I don't. We did all the applications at the same time at the beginning)

There is no imply status and OWP takes roughly 4 months for approval.

negarmh

Star Member
Jul 18, 2014
I don't think you can "renew" your OWP. But you can apply for a new OWP linking to your inland Spousal PR application. (some other member may know the exact process. I don't. We did all the applications at the same time at the beginning)

There is no imply status and OWP takes roughly 4 months for approval.
Thanks. I'd look into that then.