+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit and PR got approved at the same time - can I choose to enter on work permit instead of PR?

aditi1000

May 26, 2024
Hello!

I applied for PR in Sept 2023 and my company applied for a work permit for me in Jan 2024. I planned to enter Canada from USA on June 20 with my temporary resident visa and booked an international trip on June 28 for 2 weeks from Canada.

However I recently received an email asking for passport submission for PR last month (April 2024) and submitted my passport. I read on here that my temp visa becomes void once I enter on PR and I won’t be able to get my PR card before I leave for my trip.

1. Is it true that my temp visa becomes void once I enter on my PR visa?
2. Can I choose to enter on my work permit and complete the PR process once I am back from my intl trip in Canada? I already have everything booked and would lose a lot of money if I had to cancel.

Many thanks!!

forevermore76

Star Member
May 19, 2024
Hello!

I applied for PR in Sept 2023 and my company applied for a work permit for me in Jan 2024. I planned to enter Canada from USA on June 20 with my temporary resident visa and booked an international trip on June 28 for 2 weeks from Canada.

However I recently received an email asking for passport submission for PR last month (April 2024) and submitted my passport. I read on here that my temp visa becomes void once I enter on PR and I won’t be able to get my PR card before I leave for my trip.

1. Is it true that my temp visa becomes void once I enter on my PR visa?
2. Can I choose to enter on my work permit and complete the PR process once I am back from my intl trip in Canada? I already have everything booked and would lose a lot of money if I had to cancel.

Many thanks!!
1. Yes and No.
2. No. If you leave without applying for PR card, you will need a PRTD to return to Canada and then apply for your PR card.