+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit After Withdraw PhD program

PickleRick

Dec 12, 2018
Hi all,

I have a weird situation with my immigration documents. I have finished a master's degree in a Canadian University 4 months ago and I started a PhD program in September. Now 4 months into PhD I've decided to withdraw and quit from the program. I want to apply for a job after that.
The problem is that I will not be able to apply for Post-Graduate Work Permit, because it is more than 90 days past from my graduation. I still have a valid study permit for 3 years. If I quit from the university am I staying here illegally? What is my best option to get a valid work permit and not staying in Canada without a status?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You should expect that your study permit will be automatically canceled once you have dropped out of school for more than 90 days. You should apply to change your status to visitor in order to remain in Canada legally.

You're right about the PGWP. Unfortunately you don't be able to get one based on your Master's degree since it's been more than 90 days since you completed that program. If you want to be able to work, you'll need to find an employer willing to give you a job and also willing/able to obtain an approved LMIA. Once the LMIA is approved, you can then apply for a closed work permit tied to that specific employer.

You should also check out the IEC / Working Holiday Visa program to see if you happen to be from a qualifying country and are the right age to benefit from this open work permit program.

PickleRick

Dec 12, 2018
Thank you for your reply. My husband is also in Canada and has a Post Graduate Work Permit. Can I apply for an open work permit, because I am his wife? And also if I first apply for the work permit and then quit the Phd program, will I be under the implied status or I have to wait for the work permit to get approved and then quit my program?

Sam Ghm

Feb 8, 2021
Hi all,

I have a weird situation with my immigration documents. I have finished a master's degree in a Canadian University 4 months ago and I started a PhD program in September. Now 4 months into PhD I've decided to withdraw and quit from the program. I want to apply for a job after that.
The problem is that I will not be able to apply for Post-Graduate Work Permit, because it is more than 90 days past from my graduation. I still have a valid study permit for 3 years. If I quit from the university am I staying here illegally? What is my best option to get a valid work permit and not staying in Canada without a status?
Hi. Thank you for your question. I have a similar weird situation with my PhD and am making up my mind to quit it. How did you transition yourself after quitting so that your stay could still be legal? Please suggest what you did in your case? Many thanks.