+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit after spousal PR.

Josephmyatt1996

Jun 11, 2023
I applied for Outland spousal PR on December 1st 2023 from within Australia.
On December 21st I arrived in Canada on a 6 month visitor visa. I received AOR on January 9th.
On January 18th this year I applied for an open work permit.
Fast forward to this week and after enquiring with my Local MP’s line I was told that I was ruled ineligible for an open work permit despite not receiving any communication from IRCC telling me why.
I was under the impression that you can apply for an open work permit while awaiting a decision on your Spousal PR application, whether it be an inland or Outland application? Aslong as you have AOR which I do.

nyantaro19

Star Member
Feb 7, 2024
Category........
Other
On December 21st I arrived in Canada on a 6 month visitor visa. I received AOR on January 9th.
Fast forward to this week and after enquiring with my Local MP’s line I was told that I was ruled ineligible for an open work permit despite not receiving any communication from IRCC telling me why.
I was under the impression that you can apply for an open work permit while awaiting a decision on your Spousal PR application, whether it be an inland or Outland application? Aslong as you have AOR which I do.
When you get AOR, you can apply for TRV (Temporary Resident Visa). Once you have TRV, You can apply for an OWP (Open Work Permit).

Last edited:

Lili611

Star Member
Dec 15, 2017
Which form did you fill for your work permit?
If is was IMM1295 then it means you're apply outside Canada. You can only apply for OWP inside Canada (change condition, which is IMM5710).

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
You are correct. Both inland and outland applicants can apply for OWP once they are inside Canada.

Any chance that you have filled in and select the wrong "OWP" when you applied? Did you attached the email of AOR in that application. I haven't done that online so may be others can help you to figure out the steps to navigate the online forms. otherwise, you could apply for GCMS notes to find out why your application was refused. (some may not get much more info tho) It will take 30 days or so to get the notes.

Reactions: Lili611