+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit after quitting studies

chincho

Mar 17, 2017
Hello,

I am currently on Study Permit which is valid till 2021, but I am considering quitting my studies and look for a job. I won't quit until I find a decent job.

My question is, can I apply for a Work Permit when I officially quit my studies, if I have a valid job letter can I apply for the permit while being in Canada ? Does anyone know, for how many day's can we stay after officially quitting studies.

Is the any alternative solution i.e. I apply for a normal visitor visa, and once I find a job I apply for work permit.

Thank you in advance for the help.

noscaf2014

Nov 2, 2016
1. Your permit will automatically expire 90 days after you quit your program (last day you attended the school).
2. You will not be eligible for a Post-Graduate Work Permit because you need to complete your program for that.
3. You can't apply for a work permit on your own. You will need to find an employer who is willing to give you a job offer and obtain a LMIA which is extremely hard.
4. You can change your status to a visitor, but this is not a guarantee for work or whatsoever.

I wish life was as easy as your plan, Good Luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: Naresh_PlantSci

chincho

Mar 17, 2017
1. Your permit will automatically expire 90 days after you quit your program (last day you attended the school).
2. You will not be eligible for a Post-Graduate Work Permit because you need to complete your program for that.
3. You can't apply for a work permit on your own. You will need to find an employer who is willing to give you a job offer and obtain a LMIA which is extremely hard.
4. You can change your status to a visitor, but this is not a guarantee for work or whatsoever.

Hey thank you for the help. Just one more question. Can I change my study permit if I change the program I am doing? If I get admitted in another and then leave the current one.

noscaf2014

Nov 2, 2016
I see from your other posts that you are a Ph.D. student. So, in this case:
You may change your school, program, field of study or level of study (e.g. from the Bachelor level to the Masters level) without applying for a new study permit. You do not need to apply for a change to the condition of your study permit, either. You may continue to use your study permit as long as it is valid.​

However, you need to notify IRCC if you change your post-secondary school by following the instructions in the link below.

link: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/change-schools/account.html

chincho

Mar 17, 2017
You may change your school, program, field of study or level of study (e.g. from the Bachelor level to the Masters level) without applying for a new study permit. You do not need to apply for a change to the condition of your study permit, either. You may continue to use your study permit as long as it is valid.​

However, you need to notify IRCC if you change your post-secondary school by following the instructions in the link below.

link: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/change-schools/account.html

Ok, thank you for all the help and quick responses.

chincho

Mar 17, 2017

Hello,

I have one more query. My program has an option of taking an authorized leave from the program. If I take a leave for next two semesters, what will be the impact on my study permit?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

I have one more query. My program has an option of taking an authorized leave from the program. If I take a leave for next two semesters, what will be the impact on my study permit?
You should expect your study permit to be canceled. You should covert your status to visitor to ensure you don't fall out of status in Canada.. Note that you'll have to stop working as soon as you stop attending school. Also note that if there is a break in your studies - you won't qualify for a PGWP if you decide to continue your studies later.

chincho

Mar 17, 2017
You should expect your study permit to be canceled. You should covert your status to visitor to ensure you don't fall out of status in Canada.. Note that you'll have to stop working as soon as you stop attending school. Also note that if there is a break in your studies - you won't qualify for a PGWP if you decide to continue your studies later.
Thank you. Is there any process I need to follow, if I decide to take a break and go back to India. Do I need to inform IRCC, or simply leave within 90 days.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you. Is there any process I need to follow, if I decide to take a break and go back to India. Do I need to inform IRCC, or simply leave within 90 days.
If you simply stop attending school - you should leave within 30 days. Otherwise you may have trouble returning in the future.

If you want to stay 90 days, apply to change your status to visitor so that you can remain in Canada legally with status.

chincho

Mar 17, 2017
If you simply stop attending school - you should leave within 30 days. Otherwise you may have trouble returning in the future.

If you want to stay 90 days, apply to change your status to visitor so that you can remain in Canada legally with status.
Ok thank you. So, I do not need to report to anyone if I leave within 30 days of officially leaving my studies?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ok thank you. So, I do not need to report to anyone if I leave within 30 days of officially leaving my studies?
Correct.

Sam Ghm

Feb 8, 2021

Hello,

I am currently on Study Permit which is valid till 2021, but I am considering quitting my studies and look for a job. I won't quit until I find a decent job.

My question is, can I apply for a Work Permit when I officially quit my studies, if I have a valid job letter can I apply for the permit while being in Canada ? Does anyone know, for how many day's can we stay after officially quitting studies.

Is the any alternative solution i.e. I apply for a normal visitor visa, and once I find a job I apply for work permit.

Hello,

Hi. Did you find any solution in your case? Kindly suggest, I am in a similar situation. Many thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi. Did you find any solution in your case? Kindly suggest, I am in a similar situation. Many thanks.
If you want to quit your studies and work, the first step is to find an employer who is willing to give you a job offer and also obtain an approved LMIA. Once the LMIA is approved, you would then apply for a closed work permit tied to that employer. You can start working once the work permit is approved.

I would recommend staying in school as a full time student until the work permit is approved.

Sam Ghm

Feb 8, 2021
If you want to quit your studies and work, the first step is to find an employer who is willing to give you a job offer and also obtain an approved LMIA. Once the LMIA is approved, you would then apply for a closed work permit tied to that employer. You can start working once the work permit is approved.

I would recommend staying in school as a full time student until the work permit is approved.
I am sorry, I misread his question. I am going to change my DLI from Jan 2022 and have already got LOA from a college. Given my study permit is valid for two more years, is it okay that I get admission in the new college now for Jan, and then at the end of this fall term, I withdraw from my current university? Do you think this will create any problem in the future? Of course, I will update the new DLI on the very day I quit the current university.