+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit after quitting studies

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
I am sorry, I misread his question. I am going to change my DLI from Jan 2022 and have already got LOA from a college. Given my study permit is valid for two more years, is it okay that I get admission in the new college now for Jan, and then at the end of this fall term, I withdraw from my current university? Do you think this will create any problem in the future? Of course, I will update the new DLI on the very day I quit the current university.
As long as you were actively studying this Fall term and you complete the term, you should be fine to switch your DLI without needing to apply for a new SP. You still need to inform IRCC about your DLI change, and also transfer your DLI on your GCKey account.

Reactions: Naturgrl

InternStudent

Sep 29, 2022
Hello everyone, I find myself in the same situation.

I am currently in Canada as a student and I plan to give up my studies, I am registered during the Fall 2022 semester (September-December) and my study permit expires in August 2023. Currently, at the place where I am working my boss told me that he could support me with the LMIA process, I have several doubts regarding this.

1- How long would it take to complete the entire LMIA process, taking into account the time to publish the offer in Job Bank (1 month)?

2-Is the LMIA process more or less time consuming for my employer if I am inside or outside of Canada?

3- The main plan between us is that I shoud continue attending school during fall 2022 and spring 2023 to give him enough time to get the LMIA authorization, but I don't have enough money and I'm thinking of quitting to school at the end of the fall 2022 semester and wait outside of Canada while my employer receives the LMIA. What is better for me? A) ask for a loan and register in spring 2023 B) Give up school and return to my country (Mexico) at the end of the fall 2022 semester.

4- Do the grades I have had during school matter? If I failed a subject, for example, and once my employer has the LMIA and I apply for my work permit, will the immigration officials ask me about my qualifications?

Thanks to whoever answers me, it would take a great weight off my shoulders.

priyabohra

Sep 20, 2023
Hi, I am doing a undergrad diploma program in Canada. I am thinking to quit my course and find a job for myself. I have a work permit already since my course had CO-OP. What are the consequences I would face if I quit college and get a job? Is it legally possible ?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi, I am doing a undergrad diploma program in Canada. I am thinking to quit my course and find a job for myself. I have a work permit already since my course had CO-OP. What are the consequences I would face if I quit college and get a job? Is it legally possible ?
If you quit school, then your study permit is cancelled so you cannot work. You must stop working as soon as you quit school. To work you need a job offer with approved LMIA from your employer. The employer files for the LMIA and proves that only you can do the job. Then with approved LMIA, you apply for a closed work permit. You cannot work until your work permit is approved.