+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit after iec (working holidays)

Renii

Jul 19, 2017
Hi.
At this moment im open work permit holder, through iec working holidays program, which is going to expire within 3 months.. I would like to extend my stay and also my boss want me to stay to work for the company. What should i do next?
My position belongs to group C what means

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA. Once your employer obtains an approved LMIA, you can then apply for a closed work permit tied to that specific employer. The LMIA process is quite long and involved (likely 4-6 months) and it's unlikely you'll have a new work permit before your old one expires. You should apply to change your status to visitor before you IEC expires so that you can remain in Canada. You'll then need to stop working as soon as your IEC expires - you'll be able to start again once your new work permit is approved.

The first step in the LMIA process is for your employer to advertise your job for at least a month to prove no Canadian could be found for the role. Make sure your employer follows the LMIA advertising requirements (otherwise the LMIA is guaranteed to be refused).

Reactions: Renii

Renii

Jul 19, 2017
Oh really it takes so long???
Scylla do u know some link which i should forward to my employer to follow instructions for applying lmia?
Is there any other options to extend stay? Ive read about foreigner worker option, then seen something about lsp( lower skilled program) ..
Thanks for your replies.:)

Renii

Jul 19, 2017
Do they have to advertise that position even was opened last year only and i was hired? Means i

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Do they have to advertise that position even was opened last year only and i was hired? Means i
Yes - they need to advertise the job again. It needs to be advertised for at least a month following the specific LMIA advertising requirements. If they don't advertise the job again, the LMIA is guaranteed to be refused.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Oh really it takes so long???
Scylla do u know some link which i should forward to my employer to follow instructions for applying lmia?
Is there any other options to extend stay? Ive read about foreigner worker option, then seen something about lsp( lower skilled program) ..
Thanks for your replies.:)
The only realistic option to extend your stay that I see is to change your status to visitor and stop working.

To get a work permit as a foreign worker, you need an approved LMIA. There is no way for you to get a temporary work permit without the LMIA. LMIA details here: https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/foreign-workers/median-wage/low.html

Renii

Jul 19, 2017
So then maybe i could apply for study permit and have at least permit to work 20 hrs a week while i will be waiting for approval foor lmo. Is this option too?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So then maybe i could apply for study permit and have at least permit to work 20 hrs a week while i will be waiting for approval foor lmo. Is this option too?
Have you already been accepted by a school and is your study permit ready to be submitted today or tomorrow? If you're not already accepted by a school into a specific program, it's too late for the September semester. The earliest you'd be able to do for a study permit is January.

Renii

Jul 19, 2017
No i havent.
But my friend applied for study permit 2 weeks before the iec permit had expired, yes was quite late and had to stop working, despite of it, my friend got approved study visa after 10weeks and this monday is ready to start the school.
Anyway thank you very much for answering the questions.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No i havent.
But my friend applied for study permit 2 weeks before the iec permit had expired, yes was quite late and had to stop working, despite of it, my friend got approved study visa after 10weeks and this monday is ready to start the school.
Anyway thank you very much for answering the questions.
You can certainly try - but you are very late starting - especially if you haven't been accepted by a school yet. Make sure you pick a program that is at least 8 months in length full time. You'll also need to make sure what you plan to take makes sense in light of your previous education and experience - and that you have proof of funds (you'll need to show an available bank balance of at least $20K or possibly more, depending on the costs and length of your program).

Lastly, something you should consider is that it make be difficult to switch from a study permit to a work permit. You may have to stay on the study permit for the duration of the school program. If you get a study permit and then try to switch to a closed work permit soon afterwards, CIC may view this as an abuse of the study permit program and refuse the work permit forcing you to stay on the study permit. Just something to keep in mind.

Renii

Jul 19, 2017
Thanks for recommendation
Just question why should i choose program for at least that lenght 8 months?
And is not like that how long u will be studied u have right to work for same lenght of time after u finish the school program?
At this moment try to find out the best option.
Looks that might consider to hire some immigration consultant or lawyer...

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for recommendation
Just question why should i choose program for at least that lenght 8 months?
And is not like that how long u will be studied u have right to work for same lenght of time after u finish the school program?
At this moment try to find out the best option.
Looks that might consider to hire some immigration consultant or lawyer...
You need to do more research.

The program needs to be at least six months in length in order for you to qualify to work part time while you study. To qualify for a PGWP - the program must be at least 8 months long. If the program is less than 8 months long - you won't get a work permit after you finish. Most college programs are at least 8 months. If you look for a program that's around six months - it will probably be a language program - these have a very high rate of refusal for study permits since CIC sees these people as not genuine students but people who are just trying to find a way to stay in Canada.

Renii

Jul 19, 2017
I heard about that. Honestly even i am not fluent english speaker and also do know i need to improve my english, i wouldnt go for language course.
Thanks anyway,looks u have a lot of knowledge/experience about it.

Renii

Jul 19, 2017
Scylla, whats your personal opinion which options of extention is worth the time and funds put in. What would you do if you were in my position. ??

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hard to say...

Getting a study permit for September will be very difficult to do given you haven't even been accepted by a school yet. There's also no guarantee your employer will be willing to go through the LMIA process once they find out what's involved and how much money + time they have to spend. Even if they are willing to go through the LMIA process, no guarantee it will be approved.

Have you verified if you qualify for another IEC / working holiday visa? Some countries allow multiple participations.