+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit about to expire - Please help

deftones99

Jul 29, 2015
Hello guys,

I have a confusing situation here about my work permit and I need some help. The situation is as follows:

I came to Canada in March 2014 with a study permit that expired in July 2015.
I did a 1 year Masters Program that finished in March 2015.
When I finished the Masters I applied for PGWP that was approved as an open WP effective from Aug12/15 to Feb7/17 (latest being expiry date of my passport basically)
I started working in September 2015 in one position and in June 2016, I was offered a new permanent full time position with the same employer (new offer letter involved). At this point I did not apply for a new work permit because the expiry date was still in Feb/17.

My question is now: What is the procedure to follow to extend y stay in Canada as a foreign worker? Can I apply for an extension of the WP? Or should I apply for a new open WP?

Your responses would be much appreciated.

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
deftones99 said:
Hello guys,

I have a confusing situation here about my work permit and I need some help. The situation is as follows:

I came to Canada in March 2014 with a study permit that expired in July 2015.
When I finished the Masters I applied for PGWP that was approved as an open WP effective from Aug12/15 to Feb7/17 (latest being expiry date of my passport basically)
I started working in September 2015 in one position and in June 2016, I was offered a new permanent full time position with the same employer (new offer letter involved). At this point I did not apply for a new work permit because the expiry date was still in Feb/17.

My question is now: What is the procedure to follow to extend y stay in Canada as a foreign worker? Can I apply for an extension of the WP? Or should I apply for a new open WP?

Your responses would be much appreciated.
PGWP cannot be extended. Its a one time thing only! So the only option is now is to get your employer to apply for LMIA and that will take ages to process depending on your position and its difficult to get it approved as well since they must prove that no Canadians or Permanent Residence are qualified to replace you.

Where are you living currently? Maybe you can apply for PNP if you have all the qualifications.....

deftones99

Jul 29, 2015
Wonderland_1010 said:
PGWP cannot be extended. Its a one time thing only! So the only option is now is to get your employer to apply for LMIA and that will take ages to process depending on your position and its difficult to get it approved as well since they must prove that no Canadians or Permanent Residence are qualified to replace you.

Where are you living currently? Maybe you can apply for PNP if you have all the qualifications.....
Hi Wonderland,

Thanks for your response. I am in the process of applying to PR under Express Entry - Canadian Experience Class. I am just missing my police record, but I think I should be ready to submit my application in the next 1-2 weeks. But I won't have a response to my PR application in about 6 months. What will happen to my status in Canada in the meantime? My WP will expire in Feb/17.

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
deftones99 said:
Hi Wonderland,

Thanks for your response. I am in the process of applying to PR under Express Entry - Canadian Experience Class. I am just missing my police record, but I think I should be ready to submit my application in the next 1-2 weeks. But I won't have a response to my PR application in about 6 months. What will happen to my status in Canada in the meantime? My WP will expire in Feb/17.

If you are currently working in Canada and you have applied for permanent residence, you may be eligible for a bridging open work permit if your work permit will expire in four months or less. This means you can keep working while we make a decision on your permanent resident application.

To qualify, you must have applied under the:
• Federal Skilled Worker Program,
• Canadian Experience Class,
•Federal Skilled Trades Program,
• Provincial Nominee Program,
•Caring for Children Class, or
•Caring for People with High Medical Needs Class.

You must also:
• currently be in Canada,
•have valid status on a work permit that is due to expire within four months,
•select “Open Work Permit” as the type of work permit when you complete your work permit application, and
• pay the work permit processing fee and the Open Work Permit Holder fee.

Note: If you applied under the Provincial Nominee Program, you must not have employment restrictions as conditions of your nomination.

Supporting documents

When you submit your application, you must provide all supporting documents listed in your document checklist. You must also include a copy of your Acknowledgment of Receipt letter.

If you applied for permanent residence online through Express Entry, this letter is automatically sent to your account when we get your application.

If you applied outside of Express Entry, this letter is sent by the processing office after we verify that your application is complete.

If you applied under the Provincial Nominee Program, you must also include a copy of your nomination letter.

You don't have AOR yet?

deftones99

Jul 29, 2015
Wonderland_1010 said:
If you are currently working in Canada and you have applied for permanent residence, you may be eligible for a bridging open work permit if your work permit will expire in four months or less. This means you can keep working while we make a decision on your permanent resident application.

To qualify, you must have applied under the:
• Federal Skilled Worker Program,
• Canadian Experience Class,
•Federal Skilled Trades Program,
• Provincial Nominee Program,
•Caring for Children Class, or
•Caring for People with High Medical Needs Class.

You must also:
• currently be in Canada,
•have valid status on a work permit that is due to expire within four months,
•select “Open Work Permit” as the type of work permit when you complete your work permit application, and
• pay the work permit processing fee and the Open Work Permit Holder fee.

Note: If you applied under the Provincial Nominee Program, you must not have employment restrictions as conditions of your nomination.

Supporting documents

When you submit your application, you must provide all supporting documents listed in your document checklist. You must also include a copy of your Acknowledgment of Receipt letter.

If you applied for permanent residence online through Express Entry, this letter is automatically sent to your account when we get your application.

If you applied outside of Express Entry, this letter is sent by the processing office after we verify that your application is complete.

If you applied under the Provincial Nominee Program, you must also include a copy of your nomination letter.

You don't have AOR yet?
Hi Wonderland,

I don't have AOR yet because I haven't submitted my PR application yet (I am missing an updated police record certificate - I have an old one). But I have been invited to apply under Express Entry. So I guess the Bridge Work Permit is my best option at this time.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
deftones99 said:

If you qualified for a longer PGWP but were only issued the permit to the date of your passport expiry, you can apply to extend it to get the remaining time. Your PGWP should have a remark stating something to that effect.

ravdawg

Star Member
Oct 7, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
If you qualified for a longer PGWP but were only issued the permit to the date of your passport expiry, you can apply to extend it to get the remaining time. Your PGWP should have a remark stating something to that effect.
Is there a way to do this online? I am seeing on the forums a paper based way to do it...but online would be better.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
ravdawg said:
Is there a way to do this online? I am seeing on the forums a paper based way to do it...but online would be better.
As far as I know, there is no online option because the questions aren't designed for this particular situation.

ravdawg

Star Member
Oct 7, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
As far as I know, there is no online option because the questions aren't designed for this particular situation.
Ugh, so backwards. You'd think they would want it done online...instead of paper.

deftones99

Jul 29, 2015
canuck_in_uk said:
Hi Canuck,

My WP stated at the end: "Post Graduate Work Permit. Document issued to passport expiry date. Must be renewed for further extensions. Temporary Resident status maintained as per R183(6)."

Does that mean I can apply for an extension? I thought given I did a one year study program, I was eligible only for a one year work permit.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
deftones99 said:
Hi Canuck,

My WP stated at the end: "Post Graduate Work Permit. Document issued to passport expiry date. Must be renewed for further extensions. Temporary Resident status maintained as per R183(6)."

Does that mean I can apply for an extension? I thought given I did a one year study program, I was eligible only for a one year work permit.
But you weren't granted a one year PGWP...

deftones99

Jul 29, 2015
canuck_in_uk said:
But you weren't granted a one year PGWP...
Yea, I'm not sure if that was a mistake from the CIC officer. I will call CIC on Monday to see if they tell me I can extend my PGWP.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
deftones99 said:
Yea, I'm not sure if that was a mistake from the CIC officer. I will call CIC on Monday to see if they tell me I can extend my PGWP.
You are eligible to extend to get the full year, hence the remark on your passport.