+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit-able to leave the country?

brit_brat

Mar 12, 2018
Hi,
I could really do with some urgent help on this matter. Thank you.

I am currently living in Canada on an IEC work permit that expires end of May.

I have applied for family class common law sponsorship and an open work permit (yet to receive either).

Am I able to leave the country during this time?

From my understanding it is advised I don't and the decision is at the disgression of the border agent. I spoke to somone today at cic and they advised against it but said it is possible.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,
I could really do with some urgent help on this matter. Thank you.

I am currently living in Canada on an IEC work permit that expires end of May.

I have applied for family class common law sponsorship and an open work permit (yet to receive either).

Am I able to leave the country during this time?

From my understanding it is advised I don't and the decision is at the disgression of the border agent. I spoke to somone today at cic and they advised against it but said it is possible.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Hi

You are free to leave the country whenever you want. However, if you are refused re-entry, your inland app will be refused because you are no longer residing in Canada; you would need to start all over again from outside of Canada.

The risk of being refused re-entry is quite low but always there. It is up to you to decide whether to take that risk.

brit_brat

Mar 12, 2018
And do you know the reasons why people are refused and if there are steps I can do to prevent this?

The lady I spoke to at cic said travelling back with my common law spouse might help and if I were leaving for a funeral or something like that, that may help too.

Thank you

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi Canuck,
Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Do you know if that makes me have 'dual intent'?
Yes, you would have dual intent.

And do you know the reasons why people are refused and if there are steps I can do to prevent this?

The lady I spoke to at cic said travelling back with my common law spouse might help and if I were leaving for a funeral or something like that, that may help too.

Thank you
It depends entirely on the CBSA officer at the POE. There aren't really any steps you can take to ensure re-entry.