+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

work permission with minor child

Rajwant kaur

Nov 5, 2014
Hii
I want to know. If we will go with our minor child to canada for study. Can we have permission for work there legally. Some person told me only one parent have permission for work.is this true? We can work or not? Secondly if we get 10 years multiple visa then can we work or not there?

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do you mean your minor child is going to Canada to study? And you want to accompany her/him? If so, no, the parent(s) can't work unless they obtain work permits.

And no, a multiple entry visa does not allow you to work.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Agreed. The spouse of an international student can get an open work permit but the parents of a minor student can not. it is also not a given that you can stay in Canada on a multiple entry visa for more than 6 months at a time. The rule of thumb is that if you spend less than 6 months a year, you are visiting, more than that and you are becoming a resident which you normally can't without the proper visa.

If you want to stay with your child for the duration of their studies, you can apply to extend your visitor status every 6 months before it expires. You would have to show funds and better if you can show private health insurance as well.

If Canada was giving a work permit for parents of minor students, I think a lot more people would want their minor children to study in Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Rajwant kaur said:
Hii
I want to know. If we will go with our minor child to canada for study. Can we have permission for work there legally. Some person told me only one parent have permission for work.is this true? We can work or not? Secondly if we get 10 years multiple visa then can we work or not there?
No - you won't have permission to work in Canada legally if your minor child is studying there.

No - you cannot work on a 10 year multiple entry visa. It is illegal to work while in Canada as a tourist.

If you wish to work in Canada you need to obtain a work permit. To obtain a work permit you must first find an employer willing to offer you a full time job and that employer must also obtain an approved LMIA.

Rajwant kaur

Nov 5, 2014
Rajwant kaur said:
Thanks everyone. Please help me more. I have done graduation in india. And also done diploma in hospitality management from Melbourne Australia. I have experience as a cook more than 2 year. general ielts score 5:5. If I enter to canada with my minor child Then can i apply permanent residency behalf on me.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rajwant kaur said:
Thanks everyone. Please help me more. I have done graduation in india. And also done diploma in hospitality management from Melbourne Australia. I have experience as a cook more than 2 year. general ielts score 5:5. If I enter to canada with my minor child Then can i apply permanent residency behalf on me.
If you want to apply for PR, you need to qualify. You can check your eligibility at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/Immigrate/index.asp

If you find that you are eligible, you can apply for your PR from outside Canada. It does not matter for your application at all if you are in Canada as a visitor or not.

If you find that you are not eligible, a job offer could help. You would need an employer to want to hire you and to apply for a labour market assessment (LMIA) on your behalf. The purpose of an LMIA is to prove that they advertised the job and did not find any Canadian or PR for the job. If you get it, you can apply for a work permit and it may give you enough points to apply for PR or you can also figure that out later once you are in Canada if you have an option to apply under some other program.