+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work in canada while waiting my workpermit is in the proccess of being renewed

hesy

Aug 22, 2015
Hello guys,

Current I have Open Work Permit that will be expired by the end of the year, 31 Dec 2019.
I already applied to renew it but I afraid the process takes more time and it is not ready by the end of the year.
  1. What should I do to expedite the process? It was mentioned it takes 47 days when I submitted it around a month ago but now they say it takes around 75 days.
  2. Am I able to work after 1st Jan 2020? I have my own/personal company and I have a contract with a company in Canada. What happens to my situation?
It would be awesome if you can help me in this case. Thank you.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello guys,

Current I have Open Work Permit that will be expired by the end of the year, 31 Dec 2019.
I already applied to renew it but I afraid the process takes more time and it is not ready by the end of the year.
  1. What should I do to expedite the process? It was mentioned it takes 47 days when I submitted it around a month ago but now they say it takes around 75 days.
  2. Am I able to work after 1st Jan 2020? I have my own/personal company and I have a contract with a company in Canada. What happens to my situation?
It would be awesome if you can help me in this case. Thank you.
How do you hold an OWP and what kind of extension have you applied for?

1. There is no expediting. There are people in line in front of you.

2. You can keep working.

hesy

Aug 22, 2015
How do you hold an OWP and what kind of extension have you applied for?

1. There is no expediting. There are people in line in front of you.

2. You can keep working.
Thank you for your answer. I am in Canada for 4 years. My wife is doing her studies and I am her dependent and have OWP. Therefore, I applied to renew/extend my current WP.

2. I thought that I am not allowed to work until I have a valid WP. So, basically you are saying I am allowed to work, right?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you for your answer. I am in Canada for 4 years. My wife is doing her studies and I am her dependent and have OWP. Therefore, I applied to renew/extend my current WP.

2. I thought that I am not allowed to work until I have a valid WP. So, basically you are saying I am allowed to work, right?
So she is still studying and has applied to extend her study permit?

You can work on Implied Status.