+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work hours for the Canadian Experience Class

yxl1919

Mar 17, 2023
Hi, I am a student from the U of S, SK, and I would like to apply for the Canadian Experience Class (Express Entry), and the working hours' requirement confused me.
You see, I defended my thesis last June, and applied for the post-graduation work permit (PGWP), and I received my PGWP last December.
During the time when I was waiting for my work permit, I worked part-time for the University and for the ECCC because the IRCC issued me a WP-EXT for PGWP (IMM 0127 E) letter and stated that I can work legally here.
Do these working hours count in the work experience required for the application of the Canadian Experience Class?
I am confused because the webpage https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/canadian-experience-class.html
states that
'Self-employment and work experience gained while you were a full-time student (even if you were on a co-op work term) doesn’t count towards the minimum requirements for this program. '
By the way, I did not register for the semester after June last year because the thesis was submitted and the University refunded me for the overpaid tuition.

I am not sure if there anybody has the same situation as me.
Many thanks to those who can help me to solve this problem.

Warm wishes!

ShuBhaMAhuJA

Star Member
Jan 6, 2023
Hi, I am a student from the U of S, SK, and I would like to apply for the Canadian Experience Class (Express Entry), and the working hours' requirement confused me.
You see, I defended my thesis last June, and applied for the post-graduation work permit (PGWP), and I received my PGWP last December.
During the time when I was waiting for my work permit, I worked part-time for the University and for the ECCC because the IRCC issued me a WP-EXT for PGWP (IMM 0127 E) letter and stated that I can work legally here.
Do these working hours count in the work experience required for the application of the Canadian Experience Class?
I am confused because the webpage https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/canadian-experience-class.html
states that
'Self-employment and work experience gained while you were a full-time student (even if you were on a co-op work term) doesn’t count towards the minimum requirements for this program. '
By the way, I did not register for the semester after June last year because the thesis was submitted and the University refunded me for the overpaid tuition.

I am not sure if there anybody has the same situation as me.
Many thanks to those who can help me to solve this problem.

Warm wishes!
Your Work Experience will start counting from the day you submit your PGWP application & if you work Part time that is less than 30hrs than those hours will be count as half the time you work towards your CEC Experience..Hope that help.

yxl1919

Mar 17, 2023
Your Work Experience will start counting from the day you submit your PGWP application & if you work Part time that is less than 30hrs than those hours will be count as half the time you work towards your CEC Experience..Hope that help.
Thanks a lot for the quick reply.
It does solve my problem here!
Warm regards!

Reactions: ShuBhaMAhuJA