+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work hours documentation/reference letter

JuliettaG87

May 20, 2015
Hello everyone,

I tried searching the forums to answer my question but I feel like my case is quite specific, so maybe you can help me out.
First off, I have a 3 year Post Graduate Work Permit (valid til Sept 2018) and have worked the past 2 years (well from September 2015 when my work permit started) as a ballet teacher during the evenings (and another non skilled profession full time during the day, so I understand I won't need to report hours/provide a reference letter for this work).
I have worked at the ballet studio already for 5 years, I started there while I was on my Off Campus Work Permit.
I have a few questions now regarding how to properly document my hours:
1) when my boss is composing the reference letter, should she specify that I worked for her for 5 years but the first 3 years were as part of my off campus work permit?

2) Also, during that time my hours were different, I worked approximately 12-15 hours per week while on my OCWP and since September 2015 (on my PGWP) it has been between 20-25 hours a week (it sometimes changed before exams/performances I had to work more - but my regular scheduled hours on the schedule were at least 20 those two years). How should I document those hours properly? I know my regular schedule from the school year 2015/2016 and from 2016/17 (how many hours I was on the schedule, e.g. how many classes were "mine") but again, there were months when I worked a bit more (never less).

3) For dance teaching the season usually runs from about September to mid June and then we are off for the summer, so technically I only work for this job about 9.5 months per calendar year. Now we are also closed for Christmas break, approx. 2 weeks and of course for all stat holidays - and unlike a salaried job I do NOT get paid for those days because I only get paid for when I actually work. Do I have to keep every single holiday in mind while calculating my hours? I also worked a few random classes during the summer season for her (summer school) but usually no more than 3 hours per week, should I include those hours as well (I mean they do help to add up to my 1560 required hours!) ..but again, how do I specify that? I have pay stubs but I definitely don't have ALL of them on me and that would be a lot (every 2 weeks a pay stub?), would they require all of them?

4) I have also worked as a fitness instructor for one year at a gym - I only taught one speciality class there though per week (sometimes 2 if I was subbing for somebody) - does that count to my experience as well? I mean again, this adds up to roughly 60 hours in total, so again helps me to get to my 1560 required hours.

5) last but not least - In case you calculated with me and my hours - I currently come to roughly 1600 hours over the past two (school) years and I will not have any new hours added this summer, only once the new school year starts again. Would it be better you think to wait til the end of the year (december) to apply as my hours will be more by then? Will that give me any advantage? I am not faking my hours currently to get to the 1560 but I am worried that they think I am if I just barely make it over the 1560. Ideally though the summer is a good time for me to apply as I am a little less busy as I only work one full time job (the one that's non skilled work) and it also leaves me more time before my PGWP runs out (I mean I still have more than a year I know but... I am always such a "worrier" if that is a word :) ).

Thanks so much for all your help in advance.
Julia

Mjkab

Aug 29, 2016
Hello everyone,

I tried searching the forums to answer my question but I feel like my case is quite specific, so maybe you can help me out.
First off, I have a 3 year Post Graduate Work Permit (valid til Sept 2018) and have worked the past 2 years (well from September 2015 when my work permit started) as a ballet teacher during the evenings (and another non skilled profession full time during the day, so I understand I won't need to report hours/provide a reference letter for this work).
I have worked at the ballet studio already for 5 years, I started there while I was on my Off Campus Work Permit.
I have a few questions now regarding how to properly document my hours:
1) when my boss is composing the reference letter, should she specify that I worked for her for 5 years but the first 3 years were as part of my off campus work permit?

2) Also, during that time my hours were different, I worked approximately 12-15 hours per week while on my OCWP and since September 2015 (on my PGWP) it has been between 20-25 hours a week (it sometimes changed before exams/performances I had to work more - but my regular scheduled hours on the schedule were at least 20 those two years). How should I document those hours properly? I know my regular schedule from the school year 2015/2016 and from 2016/17 (how many hours I was on the schedule, e.g. how many classes were "mine") but again, there were months when I worked a bit more (never less).

3) For dance teaching the season usually runs from about September to mid June and then we are off for the summer, so technically I only work for this job about 9.5 months per calendar year. Now we are also closed for Christmas break, approx. 2 weeks and of course for all stat holidays - and unlike a salaried job I do NOT get paid for those days because I only get paid for when I actually work. Do I have to keep every single holiday in mind while calculating my hours? I also worked a few random classes during the summer season for her (summer school) but usually no more than 3 hours per week, should I include those hours as well (I mean they do help to add up to my 1560 required hours!) ..but again, how do I specify that? I have pay stubs but I definitely don't have ALL of them on me and that would be a lot (every 2 weeks a pay stub?), would they require all of them?

4) I have also worked as a fitness instructor for one year at a gym - I only taught one speciality class there though per week (sometimes 2 if I was subbing for somebody) - does that count to my experience as well? I mean again, this adds up to roughly 60 hours in total, so again helps me to get to my 1560 required hours.

5) last but not least - In case you calculated with me and my hours - I currently come to roughly 1600 hours over the past two (school) years and I will not have any new hours added this summer, only once the new school year starts again. Would it be better you think to wait til the end of the year (december) to apply as my hours will be more by then? Will that give me any advantage? I am not faking my hours currently to get to the 1560 but I am worried that they think I am if I just barely make it over the 1560. Ideally though the summer is a good time for me to apply as I am a little less busy as I only work one full time job (the one that's non skilled work) and it also leaves me more time before my PGWP runs out (I mean I still have more than a year I know but... I am always such a "worrier" if that is a word :) ).

Thanks so much for all your help in advance.
Julia

answer:
1. 2 yrs
2. you will have to count total hours on your PGWP status work only/has to be 40/hrs per week for 52 wks.
3. tax docs will help in this case.
4. no idea about the NOCs
5. immi always prefer full time continuous work on 1 job only!