+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work hours counted towards the express entry on a work permit

D3xt0r

May 18, 2016
Hi all,

This question has been bothering me for a while now and I would like to clear it up once and for all. I have started working right after I graduated from a post graduate certificate program that I have done in Ontario this year. Since I am planning to gain one year of work experience to be eligible for the experience class express entry program, I would require to gain 1560 hours in an year.
Now, my question is, when does the hours start to count for the PR application when it comes to the express entry experience class program?

I have spoken to many people and got many answers which confused me even more:

1) Does the hours start to count from the time I started working right after the graduation on my Study permit?
2) Or does it count from the time that I have applied for my work permit?
3) Or does it count from the time I have got my work permit approved?

Looking forward for the help. Thanks everyone and really grateful for your help. :)

nick1899

Star Member
Aug 27, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think its option 3), but I have read on other forums that you can attach a letter of explanation stating while I started working I was no longer a full time student, so the VO might consider that.

candavisa

Oct 24, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The customer agents will say you it starts from the day you put you pgwp application.
The experts say it starts from the day you receive your convocation/certificate.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
D3xt0r said:
I would require to gain 1560 hours in an year.

First of all - if you work full-time, you do not count hours, you work for one year. 1560 is the equivalent of one year of full-time experience, this is provided for part-time workers so that they can calculate their "full-time equivalent" (which by definition will take longer than one year). Full-time is "at least 30 hours per week" and part-time is "fewer than 30 hours per week."

Now, my question is, when does the hours start to count for the PR application when it comes to the express entry experience class program? I have spoken to many people and got many answers which confused me even more:

So, how is speaking to more people on this forum going to reduce your confusion? : )

There are two relevant rules: First, no work experience can be counted while you are a full-time student. Second, work experience counts as long as it is "authorized," (does not have to be a PGWP).

1) As soon as you graduate, you are no longer a full-time student.
2) You are authorized to work while waiting for your PGWP.

Therefore, the "interim" experience should count. In practice, VOs automatically look at the date of the PGWP to determine eligibility, UNLESS you provide a reason to use another date. You have to write a letter of explanation as to why the interim experience should count, and provide PROOF of the date you stopped being a full time student (e.g. copy of diploma, transcript, or letter from the registar). Lots of people have succeeded with this. The key is, you can't just assume the VO will "figure it out," you have to give the VO a reason to count the interim experience.

D3xt0r

May 18, 2016
Thank you very much experts. I really appreciate it and grateful for your help. I have a clear idea now. :)