+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work History for CEC

Telitos

Star Member
Jan 30, 2016
Hi all,

Aside from my full-time job for which I give a NOC, I also do some tutoring on the side, on a rather irregular basis. However, in the latter occupation I am not self-employed and do work for a company.

Because the tutoring gig has been very irregular and I have comparatively very few hours in that occupation (although I still do perform it on occasion), I was wondering whether I absolutely had to report it. I wouldn't even know what to put for "hours per week", as I can sometimes go month without doing any tutoring, while other months I would do 12 hours a week. Would there be a minimum hours over a year kind of threshold below which one does not need to report the occupation in question?

Thank you for you help!

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
Hello,

First things first, so you have a full time job that offers you 30 hours of work per week at least, and you file your taxes upon that occupation. Now if this is true let's move to the second part.

Your part time job can be combined with any other job as long as your overall hours make it to 30 per week. Not 120 a month and not 1440 a year. 30 hours per week for 12 months! For instance, if you work at your company for 18 hours a week and at your part time job 12 hours, that week can be declared and used towards your experience. But from what you wrote I don't think reporting your tutoring job will have any impact on your CEC application.

Therefore I suggest that you keep it aside from your application. You can most definitely add it to your documentation / supporting documents through a cover letter saying that you do this on a part time basis, it might help, or it might not. As long as you declare your taxes on it you are good to go.

Best of luck,

Telitos

Star Member
Jan 30, 2016
Thank you for the detailed reply.

Yes, I do have a full-time, 37.5 hours a week occupation with a NOC B for a year, so I'm good on that front. I had no intention of actually benefiting from my part-time tutoring on my CEC application, on the contrary, since I know I would not get any points for it, I was hoping I could avoid the hassle of mentioning it at all in my CEC application. (I do not want to look for the appropriate NOC and especially not have to document it should the NOC be one that could be counted towards my point total).

Hence, you have answered my question: I do not have to mention this occupation on my CEC application. I can choose not to without suffering any consequences (aside from potentially losing points, but I have already covered that). As a matter of fact, I do not intend to ever mention it anywhere throughout my PR, unless it is clearly indicated at some point that I ought to tell them about every single source of income I currently have or once had.

Thank you for the good wishes as well.

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
Telitos said:
Thank you for the detailed reply.

Thank you for the good wishes as well.
Well it will also depend on whether or not you did things properly regarding your taxes on this second job.

Telitos

Star Member
Jan 30, 2016
Right.

Now I wonder, taxes aside, in general can one simply choose which work he wishes to mention on one's application?

I ask because I would like to apply for the OINP and it is said that a job letter should be provided for every job mentioned in the application. I was a waiter for a while. I know that job is not worth a penny on my application and I have long lost contact with my ex-employer for this occupation. Additionally, I know this restaurant is now out of business.

I reported this occupation in my work history (because it accounts for a whole year), but does that mean I'll have to obtain an employment letter to justify it? Sounds strange, given that I don't even want it to be assessed.

This is where my problem lies really, obtaining a job letter simply isn't worth the hassle at all for this kind of job.

Do you ought to report it and then simply not provide any job letter or can you leave it out of your application altogether?

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
Listen mate it seems that you are confusing some stuff here.

For every job you want to declare that will count towards your experience (as in points in the new system) you will have to provide proof, meaning you will need to get your reference letters and taxes.
For every job that you are not declaring any points towards your experience (like works done while studying, or voluntarily work, etc.) you do not need to provide any proof. It is just your resume.

The main point here is you are filling the timeline they are asking for, on your history. They want to know what you have done with your time, either in Canada or outside of Canada.

There is a fine line drawn between qualified jobs and not qualified jobs.

Best of luck,