+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work full-time while being student

khaclub

Nov 19, 2021
Hi everyone,
Please help me answer my question.
I have applied a program starting in 01-2022 and it's one-year post-graduate certificate. I graduated already in 12-2022. The problem was that I applied and worked for a IT startup as a contractor in 1st, August, 2022. It wasn't declared full-time, but I received monthly e-transfer from the employer until now. In August, I finished my second semester and I was supposed to have co-op but then I submitted my PLAR that approved me to pass it without doing anything in the third semester. I have another part-time job that taking 20 hours since 1st, May.

My question is did I violate the 20 hours? I have never declared my tax in the past, and I heard that I have to make it by the end of this April.

Thank you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone,
Please help me answer my question.
I have applied a program starting in 01-2022 and it's one-year post-graduate certificate. I graduated already in 12-2022. The problem was that I applied and worked for a IT startup as a contractor in 1st, August, 2022. It wasn't declared full-time, but I received monthly e-transfer from the employer until now. In August, I finished my second semester and I was supposed to have co-op but then I submitted my PLAR that approved me to pass it without doing anything in the third semester. I have another part-time job that taking 20 hours since 1st, May.

My question is did I violate the 20 hours? I have never declared my tax in the past, and I heard that I have to make it by the end of this April.

Thank you.
Yes you violated the 20 hours. You started working over 20 hours after August 1st. You also may be working an illegal cash job. Are you an employee of a contractor. If you aren’t an employee you need to set yourself up like a small business and find out what is the best way to do so. You will need to pay taxes on that money, set-up contributions from your pay, get a gst # if your situation requires you to do do, etc.

khaclub

Nov 19, 2021
I am an employee of a contract. I am sure that I will pay tax for that by the end of April.
However, how can I resolve it?
Let me explain my case. I started my 20 hours part time job since 1-May. I got paid by checks. Very legit. Then the contract come in 1-Aug. It is a contract for a Canadian employer, and I work remotely. It is completely a self-employment. In the contract, it didnt say about the hours or anything, just my work duty. I built websites for him. I know practically its hours must be counted. But at that time I was completely off school because it was the end of the second semester. From 1-Sep to 15-Dec was the co-op time but I got approved for PLAR, so I didnt have to study anything.

Please help. I am willing to return back the money and probably ask employer to send it without bank. I feel bad now. Thanks for the answer.

Last edited: