+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work from Canada for a US company that doesn't have offices in Canada

WantToImmigrate

Champion Member
Feb 4, 2019
Hey,

This is a very broad question.

So, my future prospective employer doesn't have offices in Canada but has offices in the US. Is there a way a Canadian PR can work from Canada for a US company?
I have B1/B2 to USA but the company is ready to apply for any visas that would enable me to work from them immediately or as soon as possible. I am looking at options and was able to find O-1 might be a way, and the other is EB-1 but I am not that good :) .

I request your assistance. Thank you

Tagging seniors

@scylla
@legalfalcon
@crackMBA
@EnthuChap
@whyCorona
@Not_Your_Donkey_Kong
@Peacekeeper87
@rajkamalmohanram
@ashuindian
@13nitinsharma
@SeniorStakes

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey,

So, my future prospective employer doesn't have offices in Canada but has offices in the US. Is there a way a Canadian PR can work from Canada for a US company?
I have B1/B2 to USA but the company is ready to apply for any visas that would enable me to work from them immediately or as soon as possible. I am looking at options and was able to find O-1 might be a way, and the other is EB-1 but I am not that good :) .

Tagging seniors

@scylla
@legalfalcon
@crackMBA
@EnthuChap
@whyCorona
@Not_Your_Donkey_Kong
@Peacekeeper87
@rajkamalmohanram
@ashuindian
@13nitinsharma
@SeniorStakes
I have no idea. You should post here.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/forums/h-1b-holders-in-the-u-s.59/

Reactions: WantToImmigrate

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Hey,

Tagging seniors

As a Canadian PR, you can work for any company, in and outside Canada. As long as you are working from Canada, you do not need a US visa. However, if you will be working form the US, you will need a US visa.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey,

Tagging seniors

@scylla
@legalfalcon
@crackMBA
@EnthuChap
@whyCorona
@Not_Your_Donkey_Kong
@Peacekeeper87
@rajkamalmohanram
@ashuindian
@13nitinsharma
@SeniorStakes
You can easily work for the company from Canada as a contractor. Would meet with an accountant about the best way to structure your work.

crackMBA

Mar 2, 2015
India
As far as I know if you do not have a office in Canada then you can not work for US based company. Company will give you the salary in CAD instead of USD, which seems to be a problem for me. How will the company do that?
I have seen cases who were on work permit in Canada because their H1B expired. They worked for around 1-2 years and went back to USA after their H1B issued again.
But I believe you can still get the salary in INR(it does not make sense, I believe) and work from Canada.

Although, this is just my take as per my experience.

WantToImmigrate

Champion Member
Feb 4, 2019
As far as I know if you do not have a office in Canada then you can not work for US based company. Company will give you the salary in CAD instead of USD, which seems to be a problem for me. How will the company do that?
I have seen cases who were on work permit in Canada because their H1B expired. They worked for around 1-2 years and went back to USA after their H1B issued again.
But I believe you can still get the salary in INR(it does not make sense, I believe) and work from Canada.

Although, this is just my take as per my experience.
Thanks man

Yea.. Indian salaries don't meet Canada's minimum wage most of the time so that's out of the picture :D

WantToImmigrate

Champion Member
Feb 4, 2019
Yes.. I think you just need to sort out the legal issue around it. Anyone can work from anywhere. Canadians working for US company is common here.
Do you know any? I know NAFTA allows citizens to do this easily

Any idea if PRs can do too?

The company said they'll let me know in three days but I want to have an approach ready by my side and not lose this opportunity because some guy at the firm didn't know or want to work.. the prospective manager wants me over there ASAP

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

The company said they'll let me know in three days but I want to have an approach ready by my side and not loose this opportunity because some guy at the firm didn't know or want to work.. the prospective manager wants me over there ASAP
You have to be a citizen to benefit from NAFTA.

PRs unfortunately don't qualify.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018

The company said they'll let me know in three days but I want to have an approach ready by my side and not lose this opportunity because some guy at the firm didn't know or want to work.. the prospective manager wants me over there ASAP
"Work over there".. I assume you mean work in USA. You would need H1B to do that. There is no issues if you work from Canada as you mentioned in your original post.