+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

work for new employer before the application is approved

RoRoy

Nov 7, 2019
My situation: I currently hold a valid work permit in Canada until the end of this year, and I will be changing employers next year.
Questions:
1. I would like to inquire whether I can work for the new employer (early next year) after applying for a new work permit.
2. Can I also apply for an open work permit through my spouse at the same time, and would this conflict with my previous application for a closed work permit?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
My situation: I currently hold a valid work permit in Canada until the end of this year, and I will be changing employers next year.
Questions:
1. I would like to inquire whether I can work for the new employer (early next year) after applying for a new work permit.
2. Can I also apply for an open work permit through my spouse at the same time, and would this conflict with my previous application for a closed work permit?
What type of work permit are you on?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
It is a closed work permit for the designated employer and is LIMA exempt
1. Assume for new job you have a LMIA. You can work with new employer only once the new work permit is approved.
2. You can apply for spouse. If refused, then reapply with payslips and job letter.

Reactions: YVR123

RoRoy

Nov 7, 2019
1. Assume for new job you have a LMIA. You can work with new employer only once the new work permit is approved.
2. You can apply for spouse. If refused, then reapply with payslips and job letter.
Thanks for your reply. 1. My new job is also LMIA exemption. So I had to wait for his approval, right?
2. My spouse already has a valid work permit, I'd like to ask if I can apply for an open work permit based on my spouse's permit at the same time when I apply for a close work permit.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks for your reply. 1. My new job is also LMIA exemption. So I had to wait for his approval, right?
2. My spouse already has a valid work permit, I'd like to ask if I can apply for an open work permit based on my spouse's permit at the same time when I apply for a close work permit.
1. Yes. How are you LMIA exempt inland?
2. What type of permit is your wife on? How did she get her work permit? If she got a permit based on your closed permit then you are not eligible for an open work permit. You are the principal foreign applicant.

RoRoy

Nov 7, 2019
1. I'm a postdoc which is a lmia exempt job.
2. My wife applied for the work permit independently. I guess even if I apply for an open work permit, I'll have to wait until it's approved before I can start a new job ?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
1. I'm a postdoc which is a lmia exempt job.
2. My wife applied for the work permit independently. I guess even if I apply for an open work permit, I'll have to wait until it's approved before I can start a new job ?
1. Ok.
2. So she is on a closed work permit too? Who was the first person to come to Canada and work?