+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

work for BC government with open work permit

salmon1978

Jan 3, 2013
Just wondering whether I'm able to work for the BC government with the bridging open work permit. Some people told me government will not hire people without PR/Canada citizenship.
I'm in the process of an interview. In their post they didn't mention PR or citizenship.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
salmon1978 said:
Just wondering whether I'm able to work for the BC government with the bridging open work permit. Some people told me government will not hire people without PR/Canada citizenship.
I'm in the process of an interview. In their post they didn't mention PR or citizenship.
Unless stated otherwise in the job description, the position would be open to anyone. However, most government positions do give preference to Canadian citizens and PRs over work permit holders.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Prepare for the interview and do your best. Those jobs require you to be eligible to work in Canada which means being a Canadian citizen or permanent resident or holding a valid work permit.

They often say preference is given to citizens and PRs, but according to labor/employment laws in Canada, an interviewer is not allowed to ask questions about your age, marital status, race, citizenship, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, etc - basically, anything that can be discriminatory. So how exactly do they figure out whom to give preference to if they can't ask and the candidate does not volunteer the information?

They can ask if you are eligible to work in Canada and the answer in your case is "Yes".

I have learnt from my own experience, getting a job is not about the passport you hold. Employers are looking for the right "fit" and to make the most of their dollars and that could be you. I pray it works out well for you and you are offered the position. Amen!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
SenoritaBella said:
They often say preference is given to citizens and PRs, but according to labor/employment laws in Canada, an interviewer is not allowed to ask questions about your age, marital status, race, citizenship, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, etc - basically, anything that can be discriminatory. So how exactly do they figure out whom to give preference to if they can't ask and the candidate does not volunteer the information?
There are exceptions.

Only citizens are allowed to join the RCMP, to work for the Canadian Security Intelligence Service or in any other position requiring high level clearance.

Any organization subject to the Public Service Employment Act is required to give preference as well - http://jobs-emplois.gc.ca/centres/cit-eng.htm. If applying for a position through the Public Service Resourcing System at jobs.gc.ca, a person must create a profile and indicate whether they are a citizen, PR, work permit holder or other.