+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work experience

Eki

Oct 23, 2011
Hi all,

I have completed three years bachelors of science at york university, in Toronto. Last week I started working as a carpenter at one restoration company. After one years of work experience i am planing to apply for permanent residence under Canadian experience class.

Even if i finished statistics major, can i apply as a carpenter?

thank you in advance..

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Eki said:
Hi all,

I have completed three years bachelors of science at york university, in Toronto. Last week I started working as a carpenter at one restoration company. After one years of work experience i am planing to apply for permanent residence under Canadian experience class.

Even if i finished statistics major, can i apply as a carpenter?

thank you in advance..
Probably not as you won't be considered a carpenter, which requires a 3/4 year apprenticeship. You would be probably considered a carpenter helper, which is not in Noc A, B or O.

Eki

Oct 23, 2011
PMM said:
Hi

Probably not as you won't be considered a carpenter, which requires a 3/4 year apprenticeship. You would be probably considered a carpenter helper, which is not in Noc A, B or O.
thanks for the respond.

I am not really a helper i go to job sites on my own. i do the installations on my own. i guess i have to ask my boss to give me a different occupation which can be on Noc A,B or O.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Carpentry is not regulated in most provinces which means that your boss may consider you a carpenter if you have experience. Do you have several years of experience working as a carpenter in the past?

Eki

Oct 23, 2011
Leon said:
Carpentry is not regulated in most provinces which means that your boss may consider you a carpenter if you have experience. Do you have several years of experience working as a carpenter in the past?
I have some experience from back home when I use to help my father. I guess they wont consider that as work experience from back home.

What kind of jobs can i get with my statistics degree in a construction company that can be in Noc A,B or 0.

How does the government know my occupation? does my boss needs to fill up some forms or i have to do that?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Eki said:
I have some experience from back home when I use to help my father. I guess they wont consider that as work experience from back home.

What kind of jobs can i get with my statistics degree in a construction company that can be in Noc A,B or 0.

How does the government know my occupation? does my boss needs to fill up some forms or i have to do that?
I have no idea what kind of job a statistics person would have at a construction company but you can look for some job titles in the NOC: http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2006/OccupationIndex.aspx Could you work as a bookkeeper? General office clerks are not considered skilled.

The way you see from there if a job is skilled is by looking at the 4 digit number. If it starts with 0 as in 0711, it is a manager job and is skill type 0. If it doesn't start with 0 but the 2nd digit is 1 as in 1121, it is skill level A but if the 2nd digit is 2 or 3 as in 1211 it is skill level B and if the 2nd digit is 4 or 6, it is semi- or low-skilled.

If you look at your CEC application forms at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/cec.asp you will see that you will be required to list your jobs in Canada including the NOC's and you will also need letters from your employers, see the checklist where it says:

WORK EXPERIENCE

For the principal applicant:
• copies of your most recent T4 tax information slips and your Notice of Assessment issued by Canada Revenue Agency
• original and up-to-date letters of reference from your past and current employers for the past 3 years

Letters must be written on company letterhead, be signed by the responsible officer/supervisor, show the company's full address, telephone and fax numbers, e-mail and website addresses and be stamped with the company's official seal (if applicable). Letters must include all of the following information:

• the specific period of your employment with the company
• the positions you have held during the period of employment and the time spent in each position
• your main responsibilities and duties in each position

• your total annual salary plus benefits
• the number of hours worked per week
• a business card of the person signing

If you cannot provide a reference from an employer, provide a written explanation and any documentation that would support your claim to such employment and provide the information as set forth above
• a copy of your most recent work permit

Eki

Oct 23, 2011
carpenter is a skilled lever B but as you said i can't apply as a carpenter since i don't have 3-4 years work experience. if i get a job as a bookkeeper would i be able to apply under CEC?

how does my boss shows that i am a bookkeeper?

Employment requirements

* Completion of secondary school is required.

* Completion of a college program in accounting, bookkeeping or a related field
or
Completion of two years (first level) of a recognized professional accounting program (e.g., Chartered Accounting, Certified General Accounting)
or
Courses in accounting or bookkeeping combined with several years of experience as a financial or accounting clerk are required.

I basically graduated from math which has nothing to do with accounting.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Eki said:
carpenter is a skilled lever B but as you said i can't apply as a carpenter since i don't have 3-4 years work experience. if i get a job as a bookkeeper would i be able to apply under CEC?

how does my boss shows that i am a bookkeeper?

Employment requirements

* Completion of secondary school is required.

* Completion of a college program in accounting, bookkeeping or a related field
or
Completion of two years (first level) of a recognized professional accounting program (e.g., Chartered Accounting, Certified General Accounting)
or
Courses in accounting or bookkeeping combined with several years of experience as a financial or accounting clerk are required.

I basically graduated from math which has nothing to do with accounting.
Then maybe you need to find another job, doing something skilled but yet something you are qualified for.

Eki

Oct 23, 2011
I called the call center today and they told me that i wouldn't have a problem applying as a carpenter.

I am really confused now :mad:

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The people at the call centre are not the ones that will process your application though. The visa officer may look at it and say, ok, the guy is working as a carpenter which is a skilled job but is he actually a carpenter? You have no papers showing that. If you can get your father to sign that you have several years experience working with him as a carpenter, at least a couple of years, you might get away with it. Then again, if it isn't accepted, you would have wasted a year working as a carpenter when you could have been doing a job that you were more qualified for.

You can see at http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/noc/2006/QuickSearch.aspx?val65=7271 what is required to be a carpenter.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
It is unclear - in Ontario, it is not REQUIRED to be certified to work as a carpenter (which requires education and apprenticeship or several years of work experience), but you can't join the union without following these steps...

As for statisticians - entry-level jobs for statisticians are usually skill level C (e.g. NOC 1454)
http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/noc/2006/ProfileKeyword.aspx?val=1&val1=1454&val11=statistic&val12=0&val13=0&val14=&val15=0&val16=0

"Skilled" level statistician positions usually will require a master's degree.
http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/noc/2006/ProfileKeyword.aspx?val=2&val1=2161&val11=statistic&val12=0&val13=0&val14=&val15=0&val16=0

Many statisticians also tend to have very good computer skills and can sometimes get work in IT-related jobs, which may be classified as skilled, such as Database Analysts and Database Administrators...
http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/noc/2006/ProfileKeyword.aspx?val=2&val1=2172&val11=database&val12=0&val13=0&val14=&val15=0&val16=0

Eki

Oct 23, 2011
PMM said:
Hi

YOU REALLY DID CONFUSE ME PMM. NOC 7271 EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS SAYS THAT TRADE CERTIFICATION IS VOLUNTARY IN ONTARIO. WHICH MEANS THAT I DON'T NEED A CERTIFICATE TO BE A CARPENTER. COULD YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY WOULD THEY CONSIDER ME AS A CARPENTER HELPER IF I AM DOING EVERYTHING CARPENTER DOES ON MY OWN?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Eki said:
YOU REALLY DID CONFUSE ME PMM. NOC 7271 EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS SAYS THAT TRADE CERTIFICATION IS VOLUNTARY IN ONTARIO. WHICH MEANS THAT I DON'T NEED A CERTIFICATE TO BE A CARPENTER. COULD YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY WOULD THEY CONSIDER ME AS A CARPENTER HELPER IF I AM DOING EVERYTHING CARPENTER DOES ON MY OWN?
I somehow doubt with 1 years experience that you will have fulfilled a majority of the following duties.

Carpenters perform some or all of the following duties:

Read and interpret blueprints, drawings and sketches to determine specifications and calculate requirements
Prepare layouts in conformance to building codes, using measuring tools
Measure, cut, shape, assemble and join materials made of wood, wood substitutes, lightweight steel and other materials
Build foundations, install floor beams, lay subflooring and erect walls and roof systems
Fit and install trim items, such as doors, stairs, moulding and hardware
Maintain, repair and renovate residences and wooden structures in mills, mines, hospitals, industrial plants and other establishments
Supervise apprentices and other construction workers
May prepare cost estimates for clients.

Eki

Oct 23, 2011
PMM said:
Hi

I somehow doubt with 1 years experience that you will have fulfilled a majority of the following duties.

Carpenters perform some or all of the following duties:

Read and interpret blueprints, drawings and sketches to determine specifications and calculate requirements
Prepare layouts in conformance to building codes, using measuring tools
Measure, cut, shape, assemble and join materials made of wood, wood substitutes, lightweight steel and other materials
Build foundations, install floor beams, lay subflooring and erect walls and roof systems
Fit and install trim items, such as doors, stairs, moulding and hardware
Maintain, repair and renovate residences and wooden structures in mills, mines, hospitals, industrial plants and other establishments
Supervise apprentices and other construction workers
May prepare cost estimates for clients.
i have some experience from back home but i cant really prove that on papers. my current company tried me out for a week to check if i can do all the duties, since i don't have any experience in Canada. They were very happy with my work so they hired me as a carpenter. i do all the duties you posted above other then giving estimates to clients.