+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work experience

drajay

Oct 8, 2015
Hello everyone,

I received an ITA yesterday and I have a question regarding work experience.

I completed my PhD in Canada on June 2015. I immediately applied for a work permit and I received the same on October 2015. I was working as a research assistant (as I had applied for a work permit and had a valid student visa) until October 2015 at the same university.

Now, do I list this as work experience?

- I was permitted to work but did not have a work permit at this time
- How do I include this in my work history and personal history?

I'm sure that this situation is common with many people having a Postgraduate work permit. Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you,
Ajay

picklee

Feb 19, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I had similar experience. Finished my PhD in mid-Dec 2015. Applied for PGWP in early Jan 2016. I listed my research and teaching assistantships as separate work experience.ls since they were with different departments. Technically it was employment and I was paid a salary, so I wouldn't lie about that on the APR. I don't expect to get credit for that work since I was studying full time, but the onus to determine that is on the VO.

drajay

Oct 8, 2015
picklee said:
I had similar experience. Finished my PhD in mid-Dec 2015. Applied for PGWP in early Jan 2016. I listed my research and teaching assistantships as separate work experience.ls since they were with different departments. Technically it was employment and I was paid a salary, so I wouldn't lie about that on the APR. I don't expect to get credit for that work since I was studying full time, but the onus to determine that is on the VO.
So if this is on your work experience in your permanent residence application, what did you enter on the valid work permit field?

Also, did you submit a work experience letter for the work done from the end of your PhD (when you had not received your work permit yet)?

ramu_rokey

Aug 23, 2011
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
CPEC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
10-07-2016
Doc's Request.
01-24-2017
Nomination.....
16-11-2016
AOR Received.
01-12-2016
Med's Done....
24-01-2017
Passport Req..
22-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
23-02-2017
LANDED..........
25-03-2017
drajay said:
Hello everyone,

I completed my PhD in Canada on June 2015. I immediately applied for a work permit and I received the same on October 2015. I was working as a research assistant (as I had applied for a work permit and had a valid student visa) until October 2015 at the same university.

I'm sure that this situation is common with many people having a Postgraduate work permit. Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you,
Ajay
from what i think, since you had no work permit and you were on student work permit before that which allowed you work a max of 20 hr/week and not eligible to work for full time employment, unless you had a coop work permit which lets you work full time.Therefore it would against your application process.

drajay

Oct 8, 2015
I agree that this may not count as work experience.

However in order to fill in the work and personal history:

1) If I say that this work was done and I did not have a permit, my application could be canceled, right?. I was allowed to work legally (had a valid student permit and had applied for PGWP) but just did not have a PGWP with me then.
2) If I say that I was unemployed at this time, that would be a lie as well.

This is confusing!

Omidahomie

Aug 23, 2016
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
September 4th, 2016
Nomination.....
CRS of 496
AOR Received.
22-03-2017
IELTS Request
Overall score of 8
Hi, would I mention my companies email or my immediate bosses email in the employement reference letter ? Cic help button says company , but that's general. Advice pls.

picklee

Feb 19, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
drajay said:
So if this is on your work experience in your permanent residence application, what did you enter on the valid work permit field?

Also, did you submit a work experience letter for the work done from the end of your PhD (when you had not received your work permit yet)?
There were only a couple weeks after I officially finished my program and got the PGWP. I think I selected that the work (research assistant) was work permit exempt.

My post-doc officially started on the date my PGWP was approved. I have requested, but not yet received the experience letter for those weeks between finishing the degree and starting a post-doc. I will let you know what my department writes!

chelseafc99

Star Member
Nov 9, 2015
drajay said:
Hello everyone,

Thank you,
Ajay
I am in a similar boat. I graduated in Sept 2015 (in the last term i took only two courses-part-time studies) but i had a Full time job from July 2015. I applied for my PGWP in Oct 15 and received it on March 2016! During the wait time, i was under 'implied' status and thus can legally work in Canada. So should i claim my work experience from July 15, Oct 15 or from March 2016 for CEC?

MANCHESTERFAN99

Feb 22, 2017
@picklee Can you please help me with the below querry

Hello Seniors , kindly answer my query .

I updated my profile after the draw but before I received a ITA . My score got reduced from 486 to 461 but was well above the cut off. I had to remove work experience as I was not able to get proper reference letters. My EE profile only shows one job and the ones I deleted dont show up .

1)All this is good but do I need to give a LOE explaining why I modified my work exp?

2)After submitting my application if my old EE details in work exp come in can I remove them and it does put me above cut of ?

I did update my profile before receiving my ITA but it came up with a invitation of my old score ie 486 and my current profile shows 461 after the update the cut off is 441. please help .

thanks for reading out

picklee

Feb 19, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is fine if your score changes, as long as you still meet minimum CRS for the ITA and you met the MEC at the time your EE profile was submitted and when you submit APR.

JSN_2016

Star Member
May 20, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
drajay said:
Hello everyone,

Thank you,
Ajay
Hi Ajay,

If you have applied for PGWP before the expiration of study permit, then your work is legal.

When you have applied for PGWP, you would have got a degree completion letter from the department or the University. That letter proves that you are no longer a student. As per CIC, once you are done with your studies you can work with that study permit. You might need to write a letter of explanation stating that you completed PhD on June 2015 (Proof is degree completion letter) and request them to consider your work experience from July, Aug, Sep.

If you want to claim points for the work experience comprising July, Aug and Sep month, then mention it in work history.

If you dont want to claim points for the work experience comprising July, Aug and Sep month, then mention it in personal history.

Hope this clears your doubts.

MANCHESTERFAN99

Feb 22, 2017
picklee said:
It is fine if your score changes, as long as you still meet minimum CRS for the ITA and you met the MEC at the time your EE profile was submitted and when you submit APR.
@picklee great thanks

4RyL

Jun 6, 2017
Hi, Will CIC count work experience of 1st March 2011 to 2 February 2015 as four years or as 3years, 11 month and 2 days... please advise.

rthoguluva

Jul 16, 2015
One more question which I need clarification from you all experts.

My spouse is primary applicant. She was a research fellowship (in molecular biologist or microbiologist) having 5 years and 11 months of experience and NOC code is 2121.
Also, we have project offer letter, experience letter, stipend payslip and relieving letter of my spouse.

My question is
She had received STIPEND (i.e., no Provident Fund, no TDS, No Form 16, can't file Income Tax return etc.. ) of her Research fellowship job through out her 5 years and 11 months.

Will these be considered as work experience which we filled in Work history section in Express entry profile? Is this valid one?.

Many Thanks,
rthoguluva