+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work experience under Study and Post Graduate Work Permit

david1196

Dec 19, 2018
Hi all!
I would like to know if the following work experience qualifies for Section 6. i. of the CRS Calculator: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp

My work experience:
Under Study Permit:
May 1st 2018 - June 15 2018 as Software Developer at Company ABC​
Under Work Permit:
June 16 - now as Software Developer at Company ABC (same company as above)​

Same company, same work title, same work description.

I wrote my last exam on May 1st and started working at this company (Full time) on May 1st.

My study permit states:
May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186(F), (V) or (W). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria.​

R186(V) states that I can work 40 hours/week if under "Regularly scheduled break". Since I wrote my last of my final exams on May 1st, this work would fall under "Regularly scheduled break". At this point I was pretty sure but not 100% certain that I would graduate. I received the "eligible to graduate letter" on June 15th and applied for my post graduate work permit on the same day. On June 16th, I got "implied status" so I continued working at the same company til now.

My question is:
  1. Was it legal for me to work from May 1st 2018 - June 15 2018? I ask this since my study permit is automatically expired the moment I receive the "eligible to graduate letter".
  2. And if (1) was legal, can I use this work experience to qualify for Section 6. i. of the CRS calculator? It doesn't seem to say anything about work under study permit not being qualified.
I would like to apply for my PR ASAP and am wondering if I can apply on May 1st 2019 (instead of June 15 2019).