+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work experience time calculation

RoRoy

Nov 7, 2019
I have a question about calculating my work experience time in Canada. I received my work visa on November 8, 2019. As of today, should my work experience be counted as three years or four years? The online application system only allows for precise month-level input, and it seems to have calculated my experience as four years. I'm not sure if this calculation is correct or if there's an error in the system. I was thinking my actual work experience should be four years minus one month. Can someone shed some light on my situation?

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
I have a question about calculating my work experience time in Canada. I received my work visa on November 8, 2019. As of today, should my work experience be counted as three years or four years? The online application system only allows for precise month-level input, and it seems to have calculated my experience as four years. I'm not sure if this calculation is correct or if there's an error in the system. I was thinking my actual work experience should be four years minus one month. Can someone shed some light on my situation?
The system awarded you an extra year, this is a known glitch. Your actual experience is 3 years. BUT if you get an ITA based on 4 years, don't decline it. Instead, wait for Nov 8, 2023 and then submit your PR application.

RoRoy

Nov 7, 2019
The system awarded you an extra year, this is a known glitch. Your actual experience is 3 years. BUT if you get an ITA based on 4 years, don't decline it. Instead, wait for Nov 8, 2023 and then submit your PR application.
Thank you for your reply. My birthday is Oct 29. If I wait until Nov 8, will my age score decrease? and in this case, my total score still doesn't meet today's invitation score

RoRoy

Nov 7, 2019
Wow...Does that mean if I submit my application after November 8th, my age score won't change, and I can count my work experience as four years?

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Wow...Does that mean if I submit my application after November 8th, my age score won't change, and I can count my work experience as four years?
Yes. I'm a little sick so doubting everything I share, but if you went through the thread for sanity check and saw nothing different, I think you are good to go.

RoRoy

Nov 7, 2019
Yes. I'm a little sick so doubting everything I share, but if you went through the thread for sanity check and saw nothing different, I think you are good to go.
I called IRCC office this morning. The agent didn't know the "lock-in date", and mentioned they would take into consideration factors such as:
  • Continuous work status,
  • The Offer of Employment Letter from the same employer, and
  • Whether you reach the one year work experience at the time the EE application is submitted/approved or within a few days after.
The agent said even though the application is under process, the work experience will still be counted.

This information contradicts what everyone is saying on the forum, and now I'm unsure when to start my application...

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
I called IRCC office this morning. The agent didn't know the "lock-in date", and mentioned they would take into consideration factors such as:
  • Continuous work status,
  • The Offer of Employment Letter from the same employer, and
  • Whether you reach the one year work experience at the time the EE application is submitted/approved or within a few days after.
The agent said even though the application is under process, the work experience will still be counted.

This information contradicts what everyone is saying on the forum, and now I'm unsure when to start my application...
IRCC's agents aren't the most educated ones on this topic. See the documentation below.

>Public Policy to exempt applicants for Permanent Residence from certain age-based requirements between invitation to apply and application

Aging is a change of circumstance that an applicant has no ability to control or remedy, and therefore warrants a special dispensation from the requirements.

Conditions
Based on the public policy considerations outlined above, delegated officers may grant an exemption from the criteria and obligations found in the provisions listed below to foreign nationals who meet the following eligibility criteria and conditions:
  • The foreign national submitted a permanent residence application after having been issued an invitation to apply pursuant to subsection 10.1(1) of the Act;
  • At the time the officer received their application, the foreign national no longer met sub-paragraph 76(1)(a)(iv) and section 81 of the Regulations because the foreign national’s birthday occurred after the invitation to apply was issued;

Ref:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/mandate/policies-operational-instructions-agreements/age-based-requirements.html
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/assessing-electronic-application-on-section-a11-2.html

RoRoy

Nov 7, 2019
IRCC's agents aren't the most educated ones on this topic. See the documentation below.

>Public Policy to exempt applicants for Permanent Residence from certain age-based requirements between invitation to apply and application

Aging is a change of circumstance that an applicant has no ability to control or remedy, and therefore warrants a special dispensation from the requirements.

Conditions
Based on the public policy considerations outlined above, delegated officers may grant an exemption from the criteria and obligations found in the provisions listed below to foreign nationals who meet the following eligibility criteria and conditions:
  • The foreign national submitted a permanent residence application after having been issued an invitation to apply pursuant to subsection 10.1(1) of the Act;
  • At the time the officer received their application, the foreign national no longer met sub-paragraph 76(1)(a)(iv) and section 81 of the Regulations because the foreign national’s birthday occurred after the invitation to apply was issued;

Ref:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/mandate/policies-operational-instructions-agreements/age-based-requirements.html
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/assessing-electronic-application-on-section-a11-2.html
Thanks! Is it right that the lock-in date for age is at ITA and everything else (like work experience) has a lock-in date of eAPR/AOR?