+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Experience Start Date issue.

rpsfyn

Mar 25, 2013
Hi,

First of all thanks a lot for all your posts and replies in this forum as it has helped me a lot for my application :).

I will be really grateful if you guys can help solve my problem.

So here my issue:

I got a full time job offer after graduating from the university on 20 May 2011 but at the time I was still waiting for my post graduation work permit which I mentioned during my interview. Since they wanted someone to really start early, I told them I can work voluntarily until I receive my work permit. I also told them they can pay me after I submit my work permit and subsequently the SIN.

I started the work (voluntarily) on 4th of July 2011. My post graduation work permit was issued on 7th July 2011 but I did not receive it until 22 July 2011 as there were some postal delay. I submitted my work permit and SIN at my work place on 26th July 2011 and I started receiving my salary from August 1st 2011.

So when I asked for reference letter for the CEC application, my manager mentioned my start date as 4th July 2011. So I am wondering if it will cause any problems for my application once they notice the difference between start date and work permit issued date ?

Also I have record of employment (ROE) which put my start date as August 1 2011 (when I first started receiving my salary).

Some additional details:
I have left the aforementioned company around October 2012 and I am working for a different one.

Thanks a lot in advance.

thisisauser

Nov 23, 2012
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
rpsfyn said:
Hi,

First of all thanks a lot for all your posts and replies in this forum as it has helped me a lot for my application :).

So here my issue:

I got a full time job offer after graduating from the university on 20 May 2011 but at the time I was still waiting for my post graduation work permit which I mentioned during my interview. Since they wanted someone to really start early, I told them I can work voluntarily until I receive my work permit. I also told them they can pay me after I submit my work permit and subsequently the SIN.

I started the work (voluntarily) on 4th of July 2011. My post graduation work permit was issued on 7th July 2011 but I did not receive it until 22 July 2011 as there were some postal delay. I submitted my work permit and SIN at my work place on 26th July 2011 and I started receiving my salary from August 1st 2011.

So when I asked for reference letter for the CEC application, my manager mentioned my start date as 4th July 2011. So I am wondering if it will cause any problems for my application once they notice the difference between start date and work permit issued date ?

Also I have record of employment (ROE) which put my start date as August 1 2011 (when I first started receiving my salary).

Some additional details:
I have left the aforementioned company around October 2012 and I am working for a different one.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Strictly speaking your letter of employment indicates you've worked 3 days without a work permit. Since you were not under implied status this might be considered working illegally. I suggest you get a new reference letter from your employer that matches at least your work permit and at best your ROE (especially if you are including it in application). You would still make the 1 year threshold that CEC requires and there wouldn't be any doubts about legality of your work experience.

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rpsfyn said:
Hi,

So here my issue:

Some additional details:

Thanks a lot in advance.
Yes - very much likely.

And if they question it, and you need to explain that you worked "Voluntarily" but it wasn't as you actually got paid - the entire thing could cause you serious problems.

rpsfyn

Mar 25, 2013
Thanks a lot for replies.

I actually emailed him as soon as I received the letter(a month ago) that please change the date but my manager didnt reply back. I am wondering if he doesnt send the letter with the corrected date what should I do ?

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rpsfyn said:
Thanks a lot for replies.

I actually emailed him as soon as I received the letter(a month ago) that please change the date but my manager didnt reply back. I am wondering if he doesnt send the letter with the corrected date what should I do ?
Only you can make that decision but be aware... Unauthorized work will cause you problems.

rpsfyn

Mar 25, 2013
But it was just volunteering at the time and I even had valid off campus work permit at the time. I will not send this letter and I have already sent another email requesting the corrected version of letter. Hope I receive it.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
rpsfyn said:
But it was just volunteering at the time and I even had valid off campus work permit at the time. I will not send this letter and I have already sent another email requesting the corrected version of letter. Hope I receive it.
It's too bad you didn't know the rules for your off-campus work permit. You were legally allowed to work full-time for 3 months after completing your studies (for the duration of your study permit) while waiting for your PGWP.

So, the issue now isn't that you weren't authorized. The issue is that you were a volunteer, and you cannot claim experience prior to Aug 1 as "employment," since you weren't paid for it.

If you can't get a new letter from your employer, attach a written explanation.

rpsfyn

Mar 25, 2013
Thanks Jes_on.

Wow I didnt really know that I can work for 3 months after completing my studies for full time if I have applied for PGWP. Is this really true ?

honeysingh

Feb 20, 2013
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rpsfyn said:
Thanks Jes_on.

Wow I didnt really know that I can work for 3 months after completing my studies for full time if I have applied for PGWP. Is this really true ?
Yes. You are legally authorized to work full time on your off campus work permit after your graduation for 3 month, till you receive the Post graduate work permit.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
rpsfyn said:
not because you applied for the PGWP, but because you had a valid off-campus work permit.

See p. 25 of the OP 12.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op12-eng.pdf