+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work experience-- Should I put in personal history or not?

Jul 1, 2017
I have put down 5 years of work experience but had not put down another 5 months of work experience as the company didn’t provide me with experience letter. Now that I have got the ITA with the 5 years of work X, should I quote these 5 months in ‘personal history section’ or should I just put it as ‘unemployed’?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Such employment should go in personal history, no proof of employment is required.

Jul 1, 2017
Such employment should go in personal history, no proof of employment is required.

Just to follow up on that, what all documents I require for my existing experience that I have shown. I have the offer letter stating my duties, experience letter, relieving letter, and appraisal letters as i progressed and moved up the hierarchy is that sufficient. Do I require to have a current letter stating my duties (for a job that i left 4 years back)

Secondly, my job description doesn't categorically state the exact NOC (In my case 'Financial Analyst'),is that a problem/requirement that it has to be stated. PS the NOC does lend me any additional points to my score.

dannyhcean

Star Member
Feb 23, 2016
Just to follow up on that, what all documents I require for my existing experience that I have shown. I have the offer letter stating my duties, experience letter, relieving letter, and appraisal letters as i progressed and moved up the hierarchy is that sufficient. Do I require to have a current letter stating my duties (for a job that i left 4 years back)

Secondly, my job description doesn't categorically state the exact NOC (In my case 'Financial Analyst'),is that a problem/requirement that it has to be stated. PS the NOC does lend me any additional points to my score.
Assuming by 'existing experience' you meant the ones you put in 'work history' and aim to claim CSR points from. If that what you referred to, all of your documents should serve to support below:

1. You did have these experience and they exactly match what you stated - offer letter, contract, payslips, relieving letter, appraisal letter, whatever

2. Your experience meaningfully matches what CIC required - this is the tricky part. You have to show CIC that these experiences match how CIC define a job that makes a candidate qualified to apply for immigration. That's why the NOC codes are used. If you claim to have 'financial analyst' experiences (NOC XYZ), your experience letter, from a credible source, MUST provide details of your job duties, and these duties must be similar (not identical though, otherwise it seems fishy) to what that NOC says about the job. That means not any random experience letter can be used for this purpose. It must contain details to support your claim that you had worked in an NOC XYZ job for said period of time.

On your second question, it really doesn't matter whether your letter mentions the NOC code or not as long as the detailed duties match the NOC you picked to apply with.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2017
Assuming by 'existing experience' you meant the ones you put in 'work history' and aim to claim CSR points from. If that what you referred to, all of your documents should serve to support below:

1. You did have these experience and they exactly match what you stated - offer letter, contract, payslips, relieving letter, appraisal letter, whatever

2. Your experience meaningfully matches what CIC required - this is the tricky part. You have to show CIC that these experiences match how CIC define a job that makes a candidate qualified to apply for immigration. That's why the NOC codes are used. If you claim to have 'financial analyst' experiences (NOC XYZ), your experience letter, from a credible source, MUST provide details of your job duties, and these duties must be similar (not identical though, otherwise it seems fishy) to what that NOC says about the job. That means not any random experience letter can be used for this purpose. It must contain details to support your claim that you had worked in an NOC XYZ job for said period of time.

On your second question, it really doesn't matter whether your letter mentions the NOC code or not as long as the detailed duties match the NOC you picked to apply with.

Thanks for the quick revert, can I go ahead and make any changes to my original application that I submitted --changing my NOC, if that doesn't impact my score. Similarly, there is a situation in which my second work experience is with a company that is merged with other firm and I am not sure I will be able to get the requisite letter in the stated format from them. I am thinking of excluding that completely. Please help!

dannyhcean

Star Member
Feb 23, 2016
Thanks for the quick revert, can I go ahead and make any changes to my original application that I submitted --changing my NOC, if that doesn't impact my score. Similarly, there is a situation in which my second work experience is with a company that is merged with other firm and I am not sure I will be able to get the requisite letter in the stated format from them. I am thinking of excluding that completely. Please help!
Well you may change your original application if 1) that doesn't impact your score as you pointed out 2) you have all the supporting evidence for the post-change experiences. Be cautious of what you change in an application and make sure all documents are able to support your altered applications.

On your second job I believe the same principles apply. You may risk lowering your total CRS scores and/or FSW scores (min 67/100) if you eliminate certain experiences. That MIGHT reduce the total years of experiences you apply to EE with. I'd suggest you have an estimation on what impacts it will bring first before making any changes. On the other hand it's always easier to back up a claim for experiences you actually had than just eliminating it altogether. If you can't get a reference letter from the company, maybe you should try asking it from your former supervisor?