+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work experience- self employed express entry

gurpreet24

Oct 20, 2011
Hi,
I have 1.4 years of retail manager valid experience in London and i had partnership firm of snooker club for 1 year after which I am running a Small cafe from the past two years. My question is can I show the work experience + business experience with all the relevant documents as total work experience. Kindly guide if anybody has successfully got the pr through express entry showing experience from self employed business and does it also falls under any NOC

gurpreet24

Oct 20, 2011
Hi,
I have 1.4 years of retail manager valid experience in London and i had partnership firm of snooker club for 1 year after which I am running a Small cafe from the past two years. My question is can I show the work experience + business experience with all the relevant documents as total work experience. Kindly guide if anybody has successfully got the pr through express entry showing experience from self employed business and does it also falls under any NOC

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi,
1) In general, yes,you can use self-employment experience for foreign work experience, but the documentation requirements are a little more difficult than employment - see "Proof of work experience" here -
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html

2) HOWEVER, it is not clear from the description, but it sounds like you were doing at least some of these activities at the same time (simultaneously). So if you were retail manager full-time and running the club at the same time, there may be no benefit to claiming the club since you can claim a maximum of 30 hours per week, regardless of whether you gained those hours in one, two or more jobs.

3) You find the NOC for self-employment the same way you do for employment, based on job duties and responsibilities.
http://noc.esdc.gc.ca/English/noc/welcome.aspx?ver=16

autechre

Mar 17, 2018
NOC Code......
Good day, what about number of hours worked as self-employed if I don't track the number but on average it should be 6-8 hours per day, ranging some days 2-3 hours, others 10? Can I average to like 35 hours per week and how do I prove it?

Fantastica

Star Member
Sep 18, 2019
Good day, what about number of hours worked as self-employed if I don't track the number but on average it should be 6-8 hours per day, ranging some days 2-3 hours, others 10? Can I average to like 35 hours per week and how do I prove it?
Your clients don't need to mention the numbers of hours you work in your letter. They only need to state the period you have rendered such services to them(E.g Autechre Services has provided the following services to us since March 2012 till date; btw March 2018 to June 2019 etc.... Paraphrase). None of my clients mentioned hours I worked and I was fine.

You need to write your LOE and declare that you work full-time all by yourself. Make sure you declare "Full-time" work in your LOE. As a self-employed person, you know your schedule yourself.

Reactions: autechre