+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Experience questions (10hrs/week)

adi92

Star Member
Jul 19, 2018
Hello,

I qualify for FSW as I have 2.5 years of full-time work experience (NOC 2132- Mechanical Engineer) and have a Master's degree from a US university.
But I want to improve my CRS score as I believe I just make the cut-off score of 446.

I had an internship before I completed my Bachelor's degree in India. This was a 5 month 40hrs/week paid internship. Will this count towards my CRS score?
I was also a Graduate Research Assistant when I completed my master's in the US. This was a 1.5 year contract but the contract was for 10hrs/week. Can I count this for my work exp or does 10hrs/week not qualify as part time?

Any help in this matter is appreciated.

Thanks,
Adi

Maverick28

VIP Member
Feb 5, 2017
Canada
Hello,

I qualify for FSW as I have 2.5 years of full-time work experience (NOC 2132- Mechanical Engineer) and have a Master's degree from a US university.
But I want to improve my CRS score as I believe I just make the cut-off score of 446.

I had an internship before I completed my Bachelor's degree in India. This was a 5 month 40hrs/week paid internship. Will this count towards my CRS score?
I was also a Graduate Research Assistant when I completed my master's in the US. This was a 1.5 year contract but the contract was for 10hrs/week. Can I count this for my work exp or does 10hrs/week not qualify as part time?

Any help in this matter is appreciated.

Thanks,
Adi
If you score is 446, you should be able to get an ITA soon.

Regarding your work experience, you can count the 5 months internship as well as long as it was paid. Also, for your Graduate Research Assistant role, it will be counted but you'll have to calculate the equivalent full time duration for the same as it was less than 30 hrs/week.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=855&top=6

Maverick28

VIP Member
Feb 5, 2017
Canada
As you are going through the FSW stream, you can count the other work experience in as long as they are the same type of jobs as your primary NOC and the hours can sum up to reach the experience conversion specification defined here:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/federal-skilled-workers.html
Primary NOC comes in to play only for FSW points. For CRS points, you can claim points for multiple NOCs too as long as they are under Skill A, B or 0.

Reactions: DelPiero07

doge

Mar 29, 2017
Visa Office......
Ottawa CPC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22-03-2017
AOR Received.
22-03-2017
Med's Done....
19-04-2017
Passport Req..
28-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
13-07-2017
LANDED..........
09-08-2017
Primary NOC comes in to play only for FSW points. For CRS points, you can claim points for multiple NOCs too as long as they are under Skill A, B or 0.
Is there a FSW point? Or do you mean 1-yr FSW eligibility requirement?