+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Experience point confusion

sw6lee

Star Member
Mar 18, 2012
Hello,

I just submitted my EE profile after getting my Celpip score. After submitting, it doesn't show me the points right away, so I tried calculating on CIC website with the calculator tool.

However, I'm a bit confused about work experience part. I have 1 year of work experience in Canada now, ~8 months in previous job, and ~4 months in my current one. The calculator says:

In the last ten years, how many years of skilled work experience in Canada do you have?
It must have been paid and full-time (or an equal amount in part-time).

I chose 1 year

Then next question is

In the last 10 years, how many years of skilled work experience do you have?
It must have been paid, full-time (or an equal amount in part-time), and in only one occupation (NOC skill type 0, A or B).

This is where I got confused. I already answered first question as 1 year, but it asks redundant question. And my concern is it says only one occupation, and I think it's saying it has to be same NOC level, either A, B or 0 for all jobs.

From my NOC lookup, I think both my jobs were NOC A, but it depends on how the HR writes the reference letter for me. They might say differently. So if my previous job was A, and my current one is B, then I don't have 1 year of work experience here? I tried selecting less than a year, then once I calculate the score, I get 0 points for work experience. If I set it to 1 year for the second question as well, then I get some points.

The funny thing is, when I submitted my profile, it didn't have a redundant question like this.

I really really hope someone can help me here. Thank you so much!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hello,

I just submitted my EE profile after getting my Celpip score. After submitting, it doesn't show me the points right away, so I tried calculating on CIC website with the calculator tool.

However, I'm a bit confused about work experience part. I have 1 year of work experience in Canada now, ~8 months in previous job, and ~4 months in my current one. The calculator says:

In the last ten years, how many years of skilled work experience in Canada do you have?
It must have been paid and full-time (or an equal amount in part-time).

I chose 1 year

Then next question is

In the last 10 years, how many years of skilled work experience do you have?
It must have been paid, full-time (or an equal amount in part-time), and in only one occupation (NOC skill type 0, A or B).

This is where I got confused. I already answered first question as 1 year, but it asks redundant question. And my concern is it says only one occupation,...

The 2nd question is specifically asking about foreign (non-Canadian) work experience; yes, it SHOULD say that, but it does not.

it has to be one year of continuous employment to be eligible for FSW. These questions are designed to assess your eligibility for all the EE programs.